    I cannot use the two options above. When I click on them
    nothing happens.

    Thanks

    John, Jun 15, 2004

  2. Hi,

    Have you checked the system for viruses and ad/spy programs lately with
    updated scanning software? That'd be the first step.

    Try the 3rd FAQ section here for assistance with Help & Support:
    Courtesy MVP Kelly.

    For System Restore, once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do
    is stop it and restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and
    doubleclick it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to
    disabled. Click apply/ok, then reboot.

    Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
    need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
    this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.

    Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but it
    doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.

    If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:

    Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
    files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files
    [recommended]". Also uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

    Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
    C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
    install.

    You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386 folder
    is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
    \ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone