    Do we even need .cab files after they have ben installed?
    --
    Don McKee

    Guest, Sep 27, 2005

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    For what it's worth...

    The only sp1.cab that I have is in C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386

    But I do not have a C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles folder.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:,
    Don McKee <Atlanta.hot,mail.com> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley Vogel, Sep 27, 2005

    I have used System Mechanic for years. For what it's worth, the 'Duplicate
    Files' feature is the ONLY one I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. This is
    in RED at the top of the 'help' in that window:

    "Warning: This tool is intended to search your system for duplicate files. Not
    all of the files that are found are candidates for removal. Be sure to carefully
    scrutinize each set of duplicate files before making the decision to remove any
    of them. It is always recommended that you have a current backup of your system
    before performing any intensive operations using the Duplicate Files tool."

    >>I just got System Mechanic 5. One feature is removing dupicate files. There
    >>appears to be hundreds of megs used for duplicates. The largest seem to be
    >>associated with Windows XP SP1 or SP2. For example:
    >>
    >>C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\sp1.cab
    >>C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\sp1.cab
    >>
    >>I wouldn't expect both files to be needed. Is there some way to know which
    >>to delete?
    >>
    >>Do we even need .cab files after they have ben installed?

    , Sep 27, 2005

    Thanks guys,

    I think you are right. I have lots of machines and
    C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles has 441 megs on all of them. Microsoft is pretty
    sharp and I wouldn't expect they would deprive all of their users of this
    much memory if they were junk files. All my systems are working fine so I
    don't think I will fix them.

    Thanx again
    --
    Don McKee