System Error 1326 has occurred

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by dw3284, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. dw3284

    dw3284 Guest

    Can anyone offer advise on how I can resolve the error
    msg. I'm getting?

    Some Background:

    I have a home network with a 4 systems. The main system
    (we'll call this SystemX) is has all the main connections
    (printer, dsl, cdrw, etc.) SystemX is running Windows XP
    Professional. I'm trying to get my laptop (Let's call
    this SystemY) which is running Windows 2000 Profesional
    to connect to SystemX so that I can use the printer. I
    was informed that I have to establish a trusted
    connection and the best way to do that is to just mount a
    shared drive from SystemX (TEMP) to SystemY. So, I have
    been issuing the following command on SystemY:

    net use * \\SystemX\TEMP * /USER:Administrator

    This worked like a charm for a while, but then something
    changed (don't ask me what... download of XP updates, new
    software installs, etc.) and I can no longer use this
    command. As a result I can no longer get to my printer on
    SystemX.

    The Error msg I get back is:

    System Error 1326 has occurred
    Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

    However, when I go to SystemX, I can login just fine with
    the specified login and password and the rights on the
    TEMP directory are wide open.

    Can anyone offer any insight or just point me in the
    right direction to troubleshoot what is going on here?

    Thanx in Advance.

    --D

    dw3284, Jul 5, 2003

  2. dw3284

    - JimT. Guest

    I've had the same problem connecting to default admin share [c$] from
    one WinXP Pro box to a second WinXP Pro box - both machines in
    workgroup mode and not in a domain. This has been going on for quite
    some time and not much info about it on the newsgroups.

    Anyway, I fixed my problem like this:

    Under Administrative Tools:
    LOCAL SECURITY SETTINGS
    LOCAL POLICIES
    SECURITY OPTIONS
    Network Access: Sharing and security model for local
    accounts.

    Value was "Guest Only ... " That seemed screwy to me, so I changed the
    value to "Classic - local users authenticate as themselves"

    BINGO !!!

    Now I can map drives to default admin shares like a CHAMPION!

    Hope this helps

    - JimT.

    - JimT., Jul 15, 2003

  3. dw3284

    Old Stable

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks soooo much JimT. I was having problems with my Vista machine accessing the printer and shared folder on my XP machine but XP could access Vista and after 5 hours of unsuccessful searching I stumbled across your solution and it solved the problem. Many thanks Champ.

    Old Stable, Feb 16, 2009
  4. dw3284

    MaxDaddy

    Joined: