    Is there a way to run the system configuration Utility
    (msconfig.exe) in Windows 2000 Pro? Or is it named
    something else??

    Rick R, May 27, 2004

  2. Rick R

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Rick -
    There are several approaches you can use to make controlling the Startup
    process easier in Win2k.

    1) If you still have access to it, you can move a copy of the Win98 msconfig
    to your \System\ folder and it will work - just ignore any complaints it
    makes.

    2) Much better, you can go here:

    http://www.thetechguide.com/downloads.html (XP Version which works in Win2k
    just fine) or here:

    http://www.3feetunder.com/files/win2K_msconfig_setup.exe (stated to be a
    Win2k Version - probably the same as the XP) or here:

    http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/m/msconfig_w2k.htm and download msconfig.

    3) As good, but different, is to go here:
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml and get Mike Lin's Startup Control
    Panel applet. A somewhat more difficult to use but more extensive program to
    do the same thing is StartupList from here:
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/index.html, or even better, Autoruns from
    here: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#autoruns. Be very
    careful about doing any Registry modifications directly unless you're
    comfortable with this, and be sure that you BACKUP your Registry before
    making any changes, so that you can recover if something goes wrong. Changes
    made with StartUpCPL are less likely to cause problems, and are usually a
    matter of just re-enabling the particular program. Another program of this
    type that I can recommend is StartMan, free. You'll have to get it here:
    http://www.pt.lu/comnet/files/utils/startman10396.exe, as the pcforest site
    is, sadly, no longer in business. Another such free program that I can
    highly recommend is StartupRun, here: http://nirsoft.cjb.net/, particularly
    if you suspect malware problems. And finally, StartupCop, here is excellent
    and allows you to set up multiple "startup profiles":
    http://www.pchelp911.com/files/startcop.zip. If you have problems with
    suspected hijackers, you can look up and investigate suspect programs in
    your StartUp lists here:

    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm (Recommended)

    http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html (Recommended)

    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm (Recommended)

    All work fine for controlling startups, however, I would recommend getting
    both of the last two. They're both free, and each has some advantages. For
    example, the XP msconfig also gives you some visibility/control over
    services, while Mike's applet offers much better startup control.

    Also, you should read and print out/save for future reference mskb article
    Q179365 here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q179365 which will
    tell you the order in which things get loaded.

    Two additional resources which have useful information relating to startup
    issues are:

    How to Delay Loading of Specific Services

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;193888

    HOWTO: Control Device Driver Load Order

    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q115/4/86.asp

    Perhaps this will help.

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    In news:1384101c443ff$6689b9c0$,
    Rick R <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, May 27, 2004

  3. Rick R

    Greg Stigers Guest

    I message "Re: No msconfig in win2000?" on Sunday, May 23, 2004 2:20 PM,
    Dave Patrick wrote:

    Natively you can; Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer
    Management(Local)\System Information\Software Environment\Startup
    Programs|View|Advanced, then in the "Location" column, you'll find the path
    to the "Startup" location either in the "Startup" directories or from the
    registry's "Run" keys.

    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    You can delete the shortcuts that you no longer want to run.

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    You can delete the string value for the program you no longer want to run.

    or copy msconfig from Windows XP to the "windows" directory

    end quote.
    --
    Greg Stigers, MCSA
    this space for rent

    Greg Stigers, May 27, 2004
  4. On Thu, 27 May 2004, "Rick R" <> wrote:
    >(msconfig.exe) in Windows 2000 Pro? Or is it named something else??

    This program does that http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    Also
    Free Firewall http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm
    Stop Flash from taking "forever" to download those huge files
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22947,00.asp
    If your computer is infected with a virus, removal tools here
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html
    Or spyware removal spybot -- http://www.safer-networking.org
    Another spyware remove ad-aware -- http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Stop Internet Explorer pop-ups http://www.panicware.com