syntax problem with gpresult - and problem with Group Pol in gener

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Group Policy' started by Guest, Apr 11, 2007.

    I am trying to find out what group policies and settings are applied to the
    users [LOCAL MACHINE]\Local Service and [NT AUTHORITY]\NETWORK SERVICE

    The reason I am doing this is because several services on many different
    operating systems and several computers on our network have stopped, namely
    the DHCP client, but others as well, such as Reporting Services, SQL Server,
    and Sharepoint.

    We have narrowed the problem down to a group policy issue with Local Service
    and Network Service. They have been running these processes fairly
    efficiently until this week. The next step is to identify the group policy
    issue.

    I am running gpresult with the following syntax and cannot get the
    information on Network Service or Local Service accounts:

    C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER "LOCAL SERVICE" /SCOPE USER /V
    INFO: The user "LOCAL SERVICE" does not have RSOP data.

    C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER "NETWORK SERVICE" /SCOPE USER /V
    INFO: The user "NETWORK SERVICE" does not have RSOP data.

    C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER LOCAL SERVICE /SCOPE USER /V
    ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'SERVICE'.
    Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

    C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER LOCAL%SERVICE /SCOPE USER /V
    INFO: The user "LOCAL%SERVICE" does not have RSOP data.

    C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER [WSJBVISTA]\"LOCAL SERVICE" /SCOPE USER /V
    ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'SERVICE /SCOPE USER /V'.
    Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

    C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER WSJBVISTA\"LOCAL SERVICE" /SCOPE USER /V
    ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'SERVICE /SCOPE USER /V'.
    Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

    C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER [WSJBVISTA]\'LOCAL SERVICE' /SCOPE USER /V
    ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'SERVICE''.
    Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

    C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER [NT AUTHORITY]\'NETWORK SERVICE' /SCOPE USER /V
    ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'SERVICE''.
    Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

    C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER [NT AUTHORITY]\'NETWORK SERVICE' /SCOPE USER /V
    ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'AUTHORITY]\'NETWORK'.
    Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

    C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER [NT AUTHORITY]\"NETWORK SERVICE" /SCOPE USER /V
    ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'AUTHORITY]"NETWORK'.
    Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

    C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER ["NT AUTHORITY"]\"NETWORK SERVICE" /SCOPE USER
    /V
    ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'SERVICE /SCOPE USER /V '.
    Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

    C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER "NT AUTHORITY"\"NETWORK SERVICE" /SCOPE USER /V
    ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'SERVICE /SCOPE USER /V '.
    Type "GPRESULT /?" for usage.

    C:\Users>GPRESULT /USER "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" /SCOPE USER /V
    INFO: The user "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" does not have RSOP data.

    Is this possible with GPRESULT and if so, what is the correct syntax? Does
    the INFO message state that there really is no policies applied on this
    computer, because I'm no confident I have the right account name.

    Guest, Apr 11, 2007

  2. My guess is that the message is correct. I don't believe that these special
    accounts actually process user policy. I have never seen evidence of it
    anyway. Because GP runs out of Winlogon, that sort of would confirm my
    suspicion, but one way to check is to view the profile of one of these
    service accounts on a machine in question. That is, open up regedit and
    navigate to HKEY_USERS. You should see a SID-based key that represents each
    of these accounts. You can drill into them to the policy location and verify
    that you are getting policy settings under them.

    Darren

    --
    Darren Mar-Elia
    MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy

    Speed Group Policy Troubleshooting with the NEW GPHealth Reporter tool at
    http://www.sdmsoftware.com/products.php

    Darren Mar-Elia, Apr 12, 2007