Windows XP Synchronization and Backup -- I Need Your Advice

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice for two types of products. The first product would be a PC-to-PC Synchronization technology. Basically, I have a few directories that I'd like to do a 1-way publishing of from my desktop to laptop. Any suggestions on a realiable synchronization tool?

Second, I'm looking for a good backup tool to backup my desktop. My desktop has a local store of music, installation software and business projects. I want to be able to set these up to automatically backup to an external firewire drive.
Suggestions? What have you used? What do you like? What don't you like?

Thank you!

Reaction score
robocopy (part of NT/2K/2K3 Reskit), it's free, it's compatable with win NT/2K/XP/2K3 and so simple.

build robocopy into a batch file and schedule the file to run.

J

Last edited:
Reaction score
SmartSync Pro

I use a program called SmartSync Pro (http://www.smsync.com). It can be used for both file-based sync and backup. It is an excellent product that I ran across after reading a review on it in The Wall Street Journal. I have had absolutely no problems with it since I began using it.

Ask a Question