    do this directly in the table design mode? I do not want a form or query if
    possible. Also I assume I will need to creat a new table with make model in
    it? Thank you hope I am clear.

    tonkaplayer, Mar 10, 2010

  2. tonkaplayer

    Jeff Boyce Guest

    Access is not a spreadsheet.

    If your user is entering data directly in the tables, your application has
    NO control over what s/he can do to the data.

    If your user is so hung up on spreadsheets, you could create a form that
    looks like a spreadsheet table, and gain the benefit of all the events and
    validation you can (only) do via forms.

    If you wish to provide the kind of cascading comboboxes you are describing,
    you can ONLY do that via forms... it simply isn't available directly in the
    table.

    Good luck!

    Regards

    Jeff Boyce
    Microsoft Access MVP

    guarantee as to suitability.

    possible/necessary.

    Jeff Boyce, Mar 10, 2010

  3. On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:29:02 -0800, tonkaplayer
    <> wrote:

    >Can I do this directly in the table design mode?

    No.

    >I do not want a form or query if possible.

    "I have a car, but I do not want to use the transmission or the steering gear
    if possible, just the engine".

    Queries are the backbone of any relational database application. Forms are the
    user interface for working with data. you can use a Datasheet view form, or a
    continuous form made to look like a datasheet, if your user prefers that look,
    but Tables simply don't have any usable events for this purpose. They are
    designed for data storage, not for data interaction.
    --

    John W. Vinson [MVP]

    John W. Vinson, Mar 10, 2010