    AV-CLS in safe mode but they (it uses four different antivirus utilties) also
    report no problems (so much for security in Windows).

    Can anyone suggest me some solutions? Thanks for any help in advance.

    Guest, Mar 8, 2007

  2. If you use Task Manager you can watch svchost spawn wuauclt either when
    the system first starts up or when the system comes back from
    Hibernation or Standby and see how much of CPU cycles are being taken
    up. If svchost/wuauclt are hogging the CPU .....

    Open the Services console and Stop, then Disable the Automatic Updates
    service from loading at startup.
    Restart the system.
    Suggest you leave the AU service disabled for now and delete the
    contents of WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download and
    WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs along with the DataStor.ebd
    located in DataStore
    NOTE: Deleting DataStor.ebd and the logs will erase the update history
    one sees on the Microsoft/Windows Update sites.

    Then restart the AU service. This will temporarily cure the 100% CPU
    useage ***IF*** the culprit is AU

    MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    MowGreen [MVP], Mar 8, 2007

    Hi MowGreen

    If I delete my update history does that mean I will have to download and
    install all the updates all over again?

    Guest, Mar 9, 2007

    MowGreen Guest

    Absolutely NOT. It's the history, which update was installed on what
    date, that's being deleted, not the actual updates themselves.

    MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    MowGreen, Mar 9, 2007

    Thanks a lot!!! That did the trick. Disabled AU, deleted the update history
    and restarted the service. Now my computer boots faster and loads faster.

    Thanks a lot once again.

    Guest, Mar 9, 2007
  6. You're mowst welcome Apoorv. Glad to hear that the issue is gone for
    now. If it reappears before MS releases a fix, just do the same steps. <w>

    MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten

    MowGreen [MVP], Mar 9, 2007