Strange Windows Explorer Behaviour

Discussion in 'Windows Vista General Discussion' started by Nick Mason, Nov 17, 2007.

  1. Nick Mason

    Nick Mason Guest

    Sometimes when I open Windows Explorer in the folder list down the left side
    there will be a My Pictures and/or a My Video sub folder under the Documents
    folder.

    When I try and access these folder I can't, I forget the exact message, I
    should have noted it! There is also a Pictures folder listed in favourite
    links which I can access ad does contain my pictures.

    After my initial panic at the thought I couldn't get at my pictures, I do
    have backups, I decided that the My Pictures folder under Documents didn't
    actually exist, using cmd and what passes for the good old fashioned DOS
    prompt showed this to be the case.

    Right clicking gave me the option to delete it so I did.

    Where it came from I have no idea but what's odd is that every so often it
    comes back, I must have deleted it, and others like My Video several times
    now.

    Does anyone have any idea where it comes from and why?

    --

    Regards
    Nick

    Nick Mason, Nov 17, 2007

  2. "Nick Mason" <noemail@nospam> wrote in message
    > Sometimes when I open Windows Explorer in the folder list down the left
    > side there will be a My Pictures and/or a My Video sub folder under the
    > Documents folder.
    >
    > When I try and access these folder I can't, I forget the exact message, I
    > should have noted it! There is also a Pictures folder listed in favourite
    > links which I can access ad does contain my pictures.
    >
    > After my initial panic at the thought I couldn't get at my pictures, I do
    > have backups, I decided that the My Pictures folder under Documents didn't
    > actually exist, using cmd and what passes for the good old fashioned DOS
    > prompt showed this to be the case.
    >
    > Right clicking gave me the option to delete it so I did.
    >
    > Where it came from I have no idea but what's odd is that every so often it
    > comes back, I must have deleted it, and others like My Video several times
    > now.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea where it comes from and why?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards
    > Nick

    It's called a junction and is there for backwards compatibility with
    programs that expect it.

    --
    Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
    www.fjsmjs.com

    Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM, Nov 17, 2007

  3. Nick Mason

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Hi Nick,

    You're messing with system junction points, and you shouldn't be. The
    "My..." folders are not folders, they are junction points that lead to the
    actual location of Vista's version of these. For instance, "My Pictures" is
    actually C:\Users\<username>\Pictures. The "My" portion has been dropped for
    each of these user folders. What you should see in Windows Explorer should
    be merely "Pictures", same goes for Documents, Videos, etc. The "My"
    junction points exist for compatibility with older software that expects
    those folders to be there, they merely act as redirects. They reappear
    because they are protected system files.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick Rogers, Nov 17, 2007
  4. Nick Mason

    Nick Mason Guest

    "Rick Rogers" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Nick,
    >
    > You're messing with system junction points, and you shouldn't be. The
    > "My..." folders are not folders, they are junction points that lead to the
    > actual location of Vista's version of these. For instance, "My Pictures"
    > is actually C:\Users\<username>\Pictures. The "My" portion has been
    > dropped for each of these user folders. What you should see in Windows
    > Explorer should be merely "Pictures", same goes for Documents, Videos,
    > etc. The "My" junction points exist for compatibility with older software
    > that expects those folders to be there, they merely act as redirects. They
    > reappear because they are protected system files.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick,
    thank you for the explanation, I understand now. It just irritated
    me that I could see them when access was denied!

    I've set the folder options to hide them in future.

    --

    Regards
    Nick

    Nick Mason, Nov 17, 2007