Strange problem : I can not install network adapters -- network categorychanged to unknown in device

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Hardware' started by A.J. Nylander, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I tried to install a network adapter to my customers old computer
    because we thought that the internal adapter might be faulty. The reason
    why we thought that it could be broken was that the windows was changed
    the "Networking" category in device manager to "Unknown" and under that
    the NIC said that there was a problem with the drivers or the card isn't
    working.

    First I tried to install Realtek NIC. Windows did finded that card and
    installed drivers and asked us to boot the system like we did. After the
    reboot that Realtek also said that there is a problem with the drivers
    or the card is not working.

    So we tried to install 3COM's adapter. Same story. USB adapter? Same
    story. Also I tried to install standard PCI modem and ISDN adapter which
    was working fine!

    Ok. I said to my customer, that the windows is bye bye and we have to
    reinstall it. It was Windows 2000 system.

    Then came this second customer... at next day... He had Windows XP Home
    with excatly the same freaking problem!

    What is going on? a virus? How that can be fixed!?

    ---
    Anders Nylander

    A.J. Nylander, Mar 11, 2005

  2. A.J. Nylander

    Guest Guest

    RE: Strange problem : I can not install network adapters -- network ca

    I seem to be having trouble with my network adapter as well. I did a full
    system recovery a few days ago and everything seemed to be fine, but I am
    seeing a USB mass storage device in my device manage. I am seeing all these
    extra drives on my computer now. They all have something to do with the USB
    device which has about 4 generic root hubs... Shouldn't this have a product
    ID if it is truly a Microsoft product?

    Guest, Mar 11, 2005

  3. Re: Strange problem : I can not install network adapters -- network category changed to unknown in device manager.

    Add me to the list. The Networking category is missing from the device
    manager and the Realtek NIC shows up under other hardware. I can get the
    network and Internet to work but when I try to enable the firewall built
    into Windows, an error message states that it can not find the NIC it needs
    to apply the firewall to.

    Randy M. Prescott, Mar 12, 2005