Strange CPU-Z Result

Reaction score
Hi Guys when i run CPU-Z and look under the Clocks (Core#0) section my core speed keeps alternating between 2400.3 ish which it should be and 1600.2 ish which totally confuses me, is this normal? It holds at each speed for varying amounts of time around 2 - 5 seconds. In case you need to know the other figures they remain constant Multiplier x 6.0 - Bus Speed 266.7 MHz - Rated FSB 1066.8 ish MHz I havent changed any settings at all yet.

Also why i am on the subject of CPU what sort of temp should i set as my maximum when i start tweaking, thats if the CPU is ok anyway one of you might tell me i have a faulty CPU before i even start.

Cheers Lee.

Reaction score
No problem i worked it out, when i run a program that uses the CPU like Stress Prime it remains at the correct speed so it must be some piece of software that throttling it back when its not in use.

I could still do with knowing a safe temp for my CPU to work too whilst i overclock though.

Many thnx Lee.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The CPU speed is changing probably because you have Intel Speedstep (EIST) and C1E active which reduce the speed when not under load - you need to go into the bios and switch them off.

A safe temperature is somewhat subjective - the Tjunc Max for a Q6600 is 100C - however I would not want to see it running over 70C at full load. All mine run at 45-50C when OC'd to 3.4GHz.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
To comment on the temperature, I've always held that anything at 50C or under at full load is a good guideline.

My temps, all at 100% load::

AMD 3.2Ghz dual: 48C (Asus PC Probe software)(Noctua U12F with 2 x 120mm fans)
Intel 2.4Ghz dual: 37C(Asus PC Probe software)(Zalman CNPS 9500-AT Cooler)
AMD 2.6Ghz Single Core: 41C (Asus PC Probe software) (Zalman CNPS 8000 Cooler)
AMD XP3200 2.2Ghz Single Core Skt A: 37C (DFI Hardware Doctor Software) (Gigabyte Rocket Cooler)

That AMD AM2 Black Edition 6400 runs hot, it actually goes down to 36C running on idle.

Reaction score
Great thnx guys im going to set 50C then as my initial limit, then when ive had my shiny new PC a bit longer i may risk taking it higher lol but for now i think 50C is a good limit :D

Cheers Lee.

Ask a Question