    If I want to store the archive folders for users on the network so that they
    are backed up nightly, is this possible? Also, if a users archive folder is
    now reaching close to 2 GB, should we create another archive folder?

    GR3555, Jun 3, 2008

  2. Hi GR3555,

    > If I want to store the archive folders for users on the network so that
    > they
    > are backed up nightly, is this possible?

    LAN PST files are unsupported by Microsoft:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019

    >Also, if a users archive folder is
    > now reaching close to 2 GB, should we create another archive folder?

    Yes, Outlook supports several PST files in one profil.

    I prefer to "backup" PST files with this Microsoft freeware addin:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...3a-b7d0-4b16-b8af-5a6322f4fd01&displaylang=en

    --
    Oliver Vukovics
    Share Outlook without Exchange (Vista Ready): Public ShareFolder

    Oliver Vukovics [Public Shareware], Jun 3, 2008

  3. GR3555

    GR3555 Guest

    Thanks Oliver for replying. I thought that was the answer, but I didn't want
    it to be true. So, with the add-in, do end-users have to individually backup
    their .pst files, since they are stored locally then? If so, this is a
    nightmare for network administrators. I would have to hire an intern to do
    this type of activity, since you know that end-uers will not actually do it.
    Are their other alternatives for managing archiving with Outlook 2003 and
    Exchange 2003? Please say yes.

    GR3555

    GR3555, Jun 3, 2008
  4. Dear GR3555,

    >So, with the add-in, do end-users have to individually backup
    > their .pst files, since they are stored locally then?

    Correct.

    >If so, this is a > nightmare for network administrators. I would have to
    >hire an intern to do
    > this type of activity, since you know that end-uers will not actually do
    > it.

    The program do this automatically if you close Outlook.

    > Are their other alternatives for managing archiving with Outlook 2003 and
    > Exchange 2003?
    >Please say yes.

    My pricelist:

    Say no: 0 €
    Say maybe: 10 €
    Say yes: 1,000 € ;-)

    To backup an Exchange server is much more difficult than to backup a PST
    file.

    Exchange backup solutions:
    http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-Backup-Restore-NTBACKUP.html

    "How to automatically back up your personal folders file in Outlook 2000 and
    Outlook 2003"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238782/en-us

    Another way is to use a "Batch" file or a VBscript which will be started
    with a "Planed Task" after you start your computer. With a "Planed Task" you
    start this Batch file /VBscript and this will copy a PST file from your
    Harddisk to a network folder.

    On our website we have a VBscript for:

    "If you want to copy the PST file to a "Server", NAS or a backup computer,
    you can use a VBscript to copy automatically a PST file to another
    location:"
    http://www.publicshareware.com/tbl_select_antworten.php?id=61

    Maybe it helps.

    Oliver Vukovics [Public Shareware], Jun 3, 2008
  5. GR3555

    GR3555 Guest

    Oliver,
    Boy, I want to charge your rates when I say yes to helping out my
    co-workers. :) I could retire while I'm young. I think the automated backup
    of the .pst files will work. I backup Exchange on the server level, but will
    need to implement either the VBscript or something like it to transfer over
    their archive files from the local drive or someone will cry when they have a
    hard drive failure. I wish everyone could just delete all the emails they
    get, but in the world of CYA, it isn't possible to do this. Thanks for your
    assistance.

    GR3555, Jun 3, 2008
  6. GR3555

    gilles Guest

    On 3 juin, 17:31, GR3555 <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > ShareOutlookwithout Exchange (Vista Ready): Public ShareFolder
    > > SynchronizeOutlookbetween PC and Notebook: Public SyncTool
    > >http://www.publicshareware.com

    > > "GR3555" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > > Thanks Oliver for replying. I thought that was the answer, but I didn't
    > > > want
    > > > it to be true. So, with the add-in, do end-users have to individually
    > > > backup
    > > > their .pstfiles, since they are stored locally then? If so, this is a
    > > > nightmare for network administrators. I would have to hire an intern to do
    > > > this type of activity, since you know that end-uers will not actually do
    > > > it.
    > > > Are their other alternatives for managing archiving withOutlook2003 and
    > > > Exchange 2003? Please say yes.

    > > > GR3555

    > - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

    Hello

    You can also try BackupMyFolder! from AddOnMail (www.addonmail.com),
    it's a freeware that allow you to schedule the backup of PST files
    inside your profil even if Outlook is started. You can configure your
    backup PST file on a share

    Regards
    Gilles

    gilles, Jun 4, 2008