Stop Word from automatically updating date field when document is opened

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Eternal, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. Eternal

    Eternal Guest

    Hi,

    I recently installed Office 2003 and since then whenever
    I open a word document with a date field in it the date
    is automatically updated to the current date. In Word
    2002 if I didn't want the date updated I'd be able to hit
    the undo button and the date would revert back to what it
    was before. However, in Word 2003 I am not able to do
    this as the undo button is not active.

    This is a major problem for me since if I typed a memo
    two weeks ago and want to print out another copy later,
    it will show the current date and not the date when I
    created it. Imagine typing something a year ago and when
    your boss asks you for a copy a year later it looks like
    you just typed it.

    Is there any way to prevent Word from automatically
    updating the date field, or any other field, without you
    expressly wanting to? I'd hate to have to revert back to
    Office XP just to get away from this one problem.

    Thanx.

    Eternal, Jun 17, 2004

  2. Eternal

    Jezebel Guest

    The problem is, you're using the wrong kind of date field. DATE gives you
    the current date, by design. What you want is the CreateDate.

    Jezebel, Jun 17, 2004

  3. Eternal

    Stefan Blom Guest

    Press ALT+F9 in order to show field codes. The date that keeps
    updating will display as a DATE or a TIME field (most likely followed
    by formatting instructions such as \@ "MMMM d yyyy"). Instead of DATE
    (or TIME), type CREATEDATE, click F9 to update the field, and click
    ALT+F9 again to hide field codes. You have now modified the field so
    that it will always show the creation date of the document. In the
    future, you can use Insert > Fields and select the CREATEDATE field
    directly. Or you can add it to your template.

    --
    Stefan Blom

    Stefan Blom, Jun 17, 2004
  4. Eternal

    Eternal Guest

    Thanx.

    It's a bit tedious to have to change this on every document, but it does
    solve the problem and I know how to avoid it in the future.

    Thanx again.

    Eternal.

    Eternal, Jun 17, 2004
  5. Eternal