    It comes up on a blue screen and says unmountable boot
    drive. I can't even run the computer in safe mode. Any
    suggestions?

    Nathan, May 20, 2004

  2. Nathan;
    Power off
    Desktop:...Open the case and reseat the hard drive IDE ribbon cable at
    both ends.
    Laptop:... simply remove and reinsert the hard drive.
    If that fails:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315403

    Otherwise go to the website of the hard drive manufacturer and
    download their hard drive diagnostics.

    Do you have a hard drive overlay such as Max Blast?
    Windows XP sometimes has issues with overlay software.
    You may need to perform a Clean Installation without their overlay
    software which is not needed anyway.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], May 20, 2004

  3. Nathan

    Nathan Guest

    Solution:
    use the following steps but before that go through whole
    text:

    Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or
    with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can start from
    the CD-ROM drive.
    When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to
    select the repair option.
    If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select
    the Windows installation that you want to access from the
    Recovery Console.
    Type the administrator password when you are prompted to
    do so.

    NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
    At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is
    installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
    At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to
    restart your computer

    Starting the Windows Recovery Console
    To start the Windows Recovery Console, use any one of the
    following methods:
    Start your computer by using the Windows Setup floppy
    disks or the Windows CD-ROM. At the "Welcome to Setup"
    screen, press F10 or press R to repair, and start the
    Windows Recovery Console.
    Add the Windows Recovery Console to the Windows Startup
    folder by using the Winnt32.exe utility with the /cmdcons
    option. This procedure requires approximately 7 megabytes
    (MB) of hard disk space on the system partition to hold
    the Cmdcons folder and files.

    Nathan, May 21, 2004