still can't run 16-bit program in windows XP

Linda Miller

That did not work. I even tried msconfig to turn alot of
the stuff of but then it said I was running in safe mode
and that the windows installer wasn't working
right.something like that. Any other ideas?

Jimmy S.

Hi Linda,

Here's an idea.
That error message is often overcome using Compatibility mode.

To install a program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode, hold
down SHIFT as you insert the game CD, use My Computer to browse
to the setup program, and then skip down to step 1 in the list below:

To run an installed program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode,
first right click the program and "Send To..." / Desktop (create shortcut).

1.. Right click on the shortcut to the program.
2.. Click on Properties.
3.. Click on the Compatibility tab.
4.. Click on Run this program in compatibility mode and select one of these:
a.. Windows 95
b.. Windows 98
c.. Windows NT 4
d.. Windows 2000
5.. Under Display settings, check mark the mode that you think that is best:
a.. Run in 256 colors.
b.. Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution.
c.. Disable visual themes.

Click on Apply.Click on Ok.Double click on the program.

Of course, let's not forget to check for any patches or updates for that game.
A good place to look is: http://www.fileplanet.com/section.aspx?s=174&v=90002

If you'd like to learn more information about compatibility mode, you can click the
link in the Compatibility tab that says Learn more about program compatibility

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| That did not work. I even tried msconfig to turn alot of
| the stuff of but then it said I was running in safe mode
| and that the windows installer wasn't working
| right.something like that. Any other ideas?

Linda Miller

That didn't work either.In fact it made my pc did not
want to respond. I shut down then restarted and tried it
but it said the same thing. I don't know if this means
anything but about 4 days ago my works suite wouldn't go
either. I contacted microsoft and got help. when i went
in to msconfig and did what I supposed to including the
hide all ms stuff to. I lost all of the micrsoft stuff
and hade to do a reinstall. after that it went in like it
was supposed to but now my hyperbowl and card games for
windows won't install. They worked before all of this
happened. I thought about repairing XP but when I try to
do that it wants a password. Only we never put a password
in. I just don't want to do another clean install unless
I have to. Sorry for being such a pain! Thanks for
helping. Linda Miller
[...]

Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=FH;[LN];gms
Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=sz;en-us;top

"Linda Miller" <[email protected]>
wrote in message [email protected]...

Jimmy S.

Hi Linda,

The Administrators password is blank if you didn't set it.
Just press the ENTER key when it asks you for a password. ;-)

Here's some steps you can use to eliminate most software conflicts.
Start with the first one, and post back if you have any questions! :)

1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de to find any
Trojans, Adware, or Spyware which could clog up your system.

3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
/ Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

4. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

5. Click Start / Run / then type: sfc /scannow and press ENTER
to replace any damaged system files -or- Run Setup.exe on your
Windows 98/Me/XP/2000 CD to reinstall Windows over itself without
erasing your programs and data. Once everything works fine reinstall
updates one at a time from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com while
testing the game after each update, in case an update caused the problem.

6. If you have room on one of your partitions, use it to install another
clean installation of Windows which you can gradually update with the
appropriate chipset, video, and sound drivers, as well as Direct X, but
with no extras including themes, firewalls, antivirus, etc. You may have
to reinstall the game(s) for use with that partition, but it's well worth it.

7. If you don't have enough space for step 6, I suggest you at least
create a new administrators account with no themes, firewall, antivirus,
or any other software or startup programs installed for that account. If
this solves the problem, then you should switch over to the new account.

Hopefully that solves the problem. Best of luck once again Linda! :)