Steve Jobs listened to vinyl

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well there's a thing, the man who invented the I-Pod.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/31/tech/web/neil-young-apple-high-def-music/index.html?c=tech

There's also a story on the same subject at the Daily Fail's website but I refuse to post a link to that infernal organ ;)

I was thinking about that though and wondered if WAV or FLAC files could be stored in some kind of compressed 'Zip' file and each file decoded prior to playback. Just a thought, I suppose if it were possible, it would be in existence.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I have some music on DVD and MP3 Player that was originally copied from vinyl and which still retains that vinyl sound, including some of the clicks where the scratches are. It gives it something that the squeaky clean modern stuff just doesn't have.
I'm not surprised he liked it, quite a few of my friends also feel that way. :)

Last edited:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have a good amount of vinyl, and still enjoy listening to it. Completely different sound to me :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have quite a few CD's recorded from vinyl and yes, they do still retain some of that vinyl uniqueness.

At one time I completely abandoned vinyl and used only CD's and mp3 files. Then about 18 months ago I went back to vinyl for two reasons - I don't think the sound of some vinyl can be beat and the other reason was probably just sheer nostalgia, there's something uniquerly satisfing about browsing through 12" sleeves then playing them. Plus all that artwork. So, yes, I'll admit to a certain extent it's probably an age and nostalgia thing.

The other medium I use mostly now are FLAC files, almost finished converting all my CD's. All my CD's are either stored or will be stored in my lockup now as I realised I just wasn't playing them anymore.

Having said that I don't think all vinyl is neccessarily 'better' especially when buying used vinyl. It can literally be worn out or have suffered a bad pressing and then of course there's sometimes some scratches, surface noise and hiss. But when vinyl sounds good imo it's very very good. A lot of the FLAC files I have also sound superb and it's a joy to hear some noise-free music sometimes.

I also have a DAB tuner I like to listen to, that sounds pretty good.