Steam Summer Sale 2016 set for 23rd June for two weeks

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/732141714652200960

Since "confidential" means nothing to certain Steamworks developers, Steam Summer Sale will start on June 23 and will last two weeks.

This was also 'leaked' -

x4f1Bex.png

Anyone hanging on for something rather than buying it now? I've a couple of things I'd like to try and pick up if they pop up during the sale.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wahey - that's good timing, Bex just cashed in her old phone at Grainer Games and I got a Steam Voucher from the trade-in :D.

The most recent sale was a little disappointing to previous years, but I'm holding out for a few games when the price drops.

Reaction score
I might have to get in to steam, someone, possibly V_R or Mucks did get me to download a freebie a while back.
Just dont know if I would get my monies worth, oh dear I now sound a bit tight!!:p

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
@Ian Yeah the sales haven't been as good as they used to be.

I'll see whats on offer, I've got a wishlist of stuff I'd like eventually.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've been hanging on for a few at full price, though I did splash out 40 quid on Doom, quite a rare occurrence for me.

I want Rise Of The Tomb Raider and DIRT Rally, but don't want to pay full whack for them. Mafia III looks good as well but it's not released until October.

I might splash out on Grim Dawn as well, I really quite fancy that one, currently selling for £20.

June 23rd is more than five weeks away...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Soooooo, who's bought what then? i'm tempted by a few, Doom being one, maybe Sniper Elite 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider - pretty much everything thats on my wishlist lol.

Among The Sleep - http://store.steampowered.com/app/250620/ - is supposed to be very good, I quite like the horror type games and its only a fiver.

Speaking of which, I finally finished Alien Isolation last night haha, that was good, but the save system ****ed me off, I swear I did the same few bits way more times that needed just because of where the last save point was. Worth it though is a good story and I'm a fan of the films. :)

EDIT: Oh and while we're on the subject of steam and a little reminder. Enhanced Steam is a must have extension in my opinion. I've been using it for years and can't do without it now.

http://www.enhancedsteam.com/

:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I tried a couple in the sale, Arx fatalis, an ancient RPG for £1.60 - it wouldn't run. Then Stock Car Extreme at £7.48 which had just about the most diabolical controller setup I've ever seen. So I requested - and received - a refund on both.

Before July 4th I'm definitely going to buy Rise Of The Tomb Raider @ £26.

Am wondering about Dirt Rally @ £24 and Assetta Corsa @ £15, I'm always wary of racing games.

And under consideration:

The Town Of Light - £9.37
Lego Jurassic World & DLC - £10.10
Far Cry 4 - £12.49
Mordheim City Of The Damned - £12

I bought Alien Isolation in a former Steam sale and have only got as far as going through the opening sequence.

And I've never heard of enhanced Steam, sounds like an extra strong Danish lager, I shall check it out.

I don't know what Doom is selling for but I'd buy it, most fun I've had from a game in a long time, despite me coming to a juddering halt and giving up on the second boss (which is quite near the end, apparently, there are three bosses in total).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
As you may have noticed from my Steam sig below, I bought Life is Strange yesterday. (Don't judge me. I'm trying to play new and different games and its a great "sitting on the soft with the Xbox pad and a beer" type of game rather than sitting at the desk, also the GF likes stuff like this too so we can play it together)

Its got very favourable reviews, and as someone who liked the Walking Dead games this is regarded as being much better.

There is a demo available to try if you're so inclined. But make no mistake this is way more story driven than action, and your choices and actions in the game directly influences the outcome of the game.

I played the Doom demo last night Flops - its bloody mental ain't it!? haha. :lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Funnily enough, I was considering buying Life is Strange yesterday as it was highly recommended by @Naylor. I may end up getting it after all :).

What do you think of it so far?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its alright, I've only played up to where the demo runs to (fire alarm). But it seems good, and I'm intrigued by the story line, and she likes it too.

You can't ignore all the reviews, apparently the story is really good, so I'm looking forward to it. :)

Trailer for those wondering...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I also looked at Life Is Strange, couldn't make my mind up but I've ticked the 'follow' box I notice.

Can't complain at the price, even for all five episodes.

Last night I bought Rise Of The Tomb Raider and played 42 minutes worth and I think I'm still in the intro sequence. There are quick time events :mad: and, so far, lots of fiddly jumping ledge to ledge bits and I've died quite a few times already even on easy mode.

I do hope it levels out into a more conventional type of gameplay though I must admit that so far it's quite true to the original Tomb Raider games style of play. Good graphics, I'm playing using DX12.

I got a copy of the GOG (Good Old Games) version of Grim Dawn and have played up to level 17. Was thoroughly enjoying it for a while but it has become a little repetitive and also considerably more difficult.

And I went back to playing The Witcher III Wild Hunt, I was stuck but I'm not now, I read one of the many Wikis on the game out there and overcame the puzzling part. Tis an excellent game, imo.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You can't ignore all the reviews, apparently the story is really good, so I'm looking forward to it. :)

Just bought it :D.

I'm going to try streaming it to our TV downstairs with Steam and give it a whirl with a gamepad - looks like it'll be quite good for this game and means I can play it with @Becky.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've nearly bought The Witcher III a few times now. Hear good things.

I also looked at Life Is Strange, couldn't make my mind up but I've ticked the 'follow' box I notice.

Have a crack at the demo Flops, find it on the games store page. Will give you an idea if its your kind of thing or not. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just bought it :D.

I'm going to try streaming it to our TV downstairs with Steam and give it a whirl with a gamepad - looks like it'll be quite good for this game and means I can play it with @Becky.
Good times. I like playing some games with the other half, it can be great fun or really annoying depending on her skill level. :lol:

Have you got a Steam Link?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Good times. I like playing some games with the other half, it can be great fun or really annoying depending on her skill level. :lol:

Sounds about right! Although for us the problem is more that we have very different approaches - Ian is the 'charge in all guns blazing' type and I'm more of the 'sneak around collecting everything' type :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
@Ian Ah, that'll do just nicely. :)

@Becky Yes she's a bit like that too, though she also spends more time than most looking at the floor or the sky too.... :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Last day of the sale today folks (ends at 1700). Get the last minute purchases in and either craft or sell any unused trading cards. :)

I added some funds to my Steam account last night and was going to buy the last two cards I need to complete the set, its only like 6p each, but I can't because Steam says....

"You've recently funded your Steam Wallet using an unverified credit card that has had a recent increase in use"

You have a sale on, of course it will see increased use! :mad:

I thought it was verified tbh. You need to confirm the two amounts the take from the card, a couple of pence each time, but its not showing up in my account yet.

Now I can't finish off the set or sell the left overs. Bar stools. :mad:

First world problems. :fool:

On the flip side, and probably part of the issue, is that I caved in and bought Doom and Rise of the Tomb Raider last night. :blush:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I didn't go for Life Is Strange in the end, played the demo but it didn't appeal to me much, all that rewinding and stuff would probably irritate me.

I bought what will probably be my last couple yesterday, one named Submerged for £5.09 which I thought looked interesting and Dragon Age: Origins, with all the DLC, for a fiver. I actually had a hard copy of DAO but it was worth paying a fiver to get all the DLC.

V_R, I reckon you'll like Doom but I'm not sure about Rise Of The Tomb Raider, imo it's not half as good as it's predecessor, far too many Quick-Time-like incidences and I sure am dying a lot, I've played just over two hours so far. Let me know what you think of it.

Ask a Question