Steam Summer Sale 2014 starts 19th June!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here's my Steam wish list though the only one I'm definitely going to buy is Wolfenstein, once the price is reduced, here's hoping it appears in the summer sale which starts in a couple of days time.

Resident Evil Revelations was on sale recently for -75% @ £7.50 but I forgot to buy it before it went back to thirty quid.

I tend to add games to my wish list if they look interesting but usually wait til I've read reviews and also a price drop before purchase. The only game I've ever pre-ordered and had the day it was released was Skyrim, I'm honestly not bothered about grabbing any game on day of release.

I'll probably also get Sniper Elite 3 when there's a price drop.

Metal Gear Rising - Revengenance £19.99
Viking Battle For Asgard £9.99
Resident Evil 4/Biohazard 4 £14.99
Child Of Light £11.99
Bound By Flame £29.99
The Lego Movie: Videogame £22.99
Might & Magic X - Legacy £19.99
Final fantasy VIII - £9.99
Wolfenstein The New Order £34.99
Resident Evil Revelations / Biohazard Revelations UE £29.99
The Path £7.25
Betrayer £14.99

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just bought the new XCOM bundle, but also keeping my eye out for Dead Island on the flash sales.

BTW, always worth voting for the game bundles if you're online - I've sold my cards and seem to earn enough for a free game a couple of times a year :).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sell your cards? I didn't know you could do that, I'll have to have a boot sale then.

I've scrubbed Viking: Battle For Asgard off my list despite it being reduced to a fiver as the reviews were universally bad.

I've bought cheap so far: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs £3.37 and Faery: Legend Of Avalon £5.24 And a driver Skin for Sonic & Sega Racing Transformed for 49p

About 75% of my wish list is in the sale but hasn't been reduced enough to tempt me so far.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sell your cards? I didn't know you could do that, I'll have to have a boot sale then.

Oh yes! Some go for a surprising amount if you have something rare. Click your username on the menu, then inventory, then sell each item you don't want :). Some of them you can use to "craft" something better, but I usually just sell them :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You cant sell the cards you need them fo the badge! :D

Also, dont forget the flowchart. ;)

bs0nCut.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, as at time of this post just 20 hours to go.

If you don't have these and you're a gamer, I'd thoroughly recommend all of these:

Brothers: A Tale Of 2 Sons £2.19 A fabulous little game, but a game controller, such as the Microsoft Xbox controller, is a must

Dishonored £2.49

Borderlands 2 £4.99

Tomb Raider £3.74

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim £2.49

Those 5 total £15.90 for hours of entertainment

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

if you're quick, you may be interested in a couple from above link. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I missed outlast the first time round, kinda regret not getting it now...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
My total buys were Tomb Raider £3.74. :D An I sold three cards for a total of 21p. :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I missed outlast the first time round, kinda regret not getting it now...

I bought Outlast in a sale some time ago and it says I've played 3 hours (I swear it was less than that) and I've given up, too damn difficult for me. I was in the basement and had to start two pumps or generators but couldn't do it, kept getting killed. After the 30th time I get killed, in any game, I give up and have a little cuss that I wasted money on it.

I will concede, though, that it's a well made game, is genuinely scary, and the controls work well. Maybe if you have a lot of patience... ;)

I posted this next text in my Blog post but I think I should have posted it here. So I will.

The Steam games sale, as usual I spent too much but here’s a summary. Mucks posted a link to some cheap games so I bought five for just under £4. Two were ok so I guess that kinda works out at £2 each which, all things considered, is pretty good value. They were:

Capsized - £1.19
Rock Of Ages - £1.39
Adventures Of Shuggy - £0.39p
Defy Gravity Extended - £0.18p
Marlow Briggs and the Mask Of Death - £0.79p

By far the best of those is Marlow Briggs and it only cost 79p, in fact it’s the only one I’ve really enjoyed playing so far. It’s old school, corny, the game engine is not the best ever invented, but it kept my attention and is quite good fun.

Capsized is also pretty good, I played some late in the evening and it showed promise, I shall return to this in a less tired and more sober moment.

The other three, imo, are a complete waste of time, all rubbish.

Adventures of Shuggy is difficult and frustrating as hell, the game engine isn’t very good and using the Microsoft Controller to play, the character always seems to overshoot your intended target. I gave it 30 minutes and consigned it to ‘mistake’.

Rock Of Ages is awful, difficult to control and the MS Controller wouldn’t work with it. And even if it did work well it’s basically a tarted up game of skittles. Not for me.

Defy Gravity Extended might have been pretty good in 1996 or in the days of the BBC B Microcomputer but on a 2014 computer it’s pretty much a pile of old tosh. Ignore.

So, that’s the cheap games. I noticed Wolfenstein: The New Order had been reduced from £34.99 in the Steam sale to £23.44 but on a whim I checked the price of the game on Amazon and they were selling a hard copy for £20.20 inc free delivery so I ordered it from Amazon and it arrived two days later. Came on 4 DVD’s, took around 90 minutes to install, the disks loaded 73% and Steam loaded the remainder.

I’ve played 8 hours so far and I have to say this is the best game I’ve played for about 3 years – it’s brilliant. There are five difficulty levels and I’ve been playing on the middle level which is ‘Normal’. There have been a few hard moments, particularly the arrival of two big robots that you have to battle together, that was quite hard, but so far I’ve managed.

But, if you do get stuck or frustrated, you can chop and change difficulty level throughout the game as you see fit, which is pretty good. The auto-save is fair but I wish they could have provided the ability to save whenever you like. I’d recommend this game.

And, this isn’t a spoiler, but so far in the game I’ve had one instance where you go back to the original 3D Escape From Castle Wolfenstein, the pre-Doom game, and they have re-created it perfectly complete with cheesy midi music, that was really good. You can enter this level if you come across a bed and it says ‘Nightmare’ but once you die, that’s it, you can’t re-enter, and presumably you have to find another link to have another go. EDIT: You do have to find another bed, I had another go on this retro 'side mission' this evening - nice touch imo

Metal Gear Rising: Revengenance - £9.99 Well, I’m glad I didn’t pay the full £30 for this one. It’s ok, and worth buying cheap, but it’s more cut scene than action and the combat is largely button mashing on the controller and hoping for the best, if you’’ve played any of these Japanese offerings before – such as Bayonetta on the Xbox 360 – you’ll know what I mean.

Still, I do return to it, which must mean it’s enjoyable. I’ve often wondered why these Japanese game-makers have their in-game characters as some weird multi-racial cross between Superman and your regular Japanese male citizen. I have never seen a real Japanese fella look anything vaguely like these computer game heroes, they all look like Mr Universe USA with a vague hint of coming from the land of the rising sun. Weird.

Final Fantasy VIII - £3.39. Not played it yet.
Batman Arkham Origins - £5.74. Not played it yet.
Resident Evil: Revelations - £7.49. Not played it yet
Amnesia A Machine For Pigs - £3.37 Not played it yet

Faery: Legends Of Avalon - £5.24. This is an absolute bunch of crap, really awful. The game engine is rubbish, the graphics are rubbish, the voice acting is rubbish, in fact it’s all rubbish. It may have impressed slightly in 1997 but not now. Do not waste your money.

Lego Movie The Videogame - £5.74. Haven’t played it yet but I’m very fond of all the Lego games, great puzzles, entertaining, not too taxing and with a sense of humour. Good to relax to.

Skullgirls plus 2 x DLC - £4.97. Another take on Mortal Kombat. Not bad, not bad, quite difficult but I haven’t played it on the easiest setting yet. If you see it going for £3 or less without the DLC and you like Kombat games then buy it. Works well with MS Controller.

And finally, I saw Call Of Duty Ghosts in an 8 hour flash sale half price for £20 so I bought it. I’m only going to play the single player campaign so I figured twenty quid was worth it. I won’t be playing multiplayer as I don’t think it’s worth playing any CoD MP unless you have all the extra maps and that means purchasing the ‘DLC’ and I wouldn’t mind betting the available ‘DLC’ costs more than I paid for the basic game, so screw ‘em.

EDIT: This evening played the first thirty minutes or so of single player campaign and I think it's very very good indeed, looks really good.

So, there we are, highs and lows and some good stuff (I hope) to look forward to trying and playing. Of course I spent far too much but I don’t go out so much these days, I’m not running a car any more and penny for penny, computer gaming is a a lot cheaper form of entertainment than visiting pubs, cinemas, music venues or your local magistrates court

Ask a Question