Steam Sale, did anyone pick up any bargains?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
So the steam sales been going on a while now, did anyone pick up any bargains?

I got the Orange Box for around £8 which is a bargain, started playing Half Life 2 again and i must say i'm very impressed with the graphics still!

Got Metro 2033, a very good first person shooter, the graphics are amazing, the game play is pretty scary at times. The loading times are the quickest i think i've ever had from any game! Well worth £5. I wish i picked up Just Cause 2 for £5 aswell, but I though i was getting carried away on the steam store :p.

I also got defence grid for less than £2 and found it extremely good, i would have easily paid full price for this game, worth every penny.

I've seen dragon age the ultimate set is only £12, which is an absolute steal, my favourite game of 2010 without a shadow of a doubt.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I didn't buy anything meself, already had all the ones that I wanted and I didn't fancy any of the rest.

Good luck with Metro 2033, it starts off well but after 2 or 3 levels in it quickly degenerates into more or less unplayable, or at least that's what I found, I've uninstalled it.

Just Cause 2 is excellent, a very pleasant surprise.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well just bought "The Witcher" for less than £4 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 for around £7, I musta bought 6 months worth of gameplay for less than £50 so far, not bad considering a PS3 game cost £40!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I picked The Witcher up for £6 from a Game Station store about a month ago, it's pretty good :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Steam sale is still running, goes on to Jan 2.

I've just picked up all the Quake games for £5.47: Quake & 2 add-ons; Quake 2 & 2 add-ons; Quake III & Quake III Arena.

What's good about the Steam downloads is that all these 8 games work fine in Win 7 and at a decent resolution so this is quite a novelty playing retro games in Win 7.

I'd never played Quake III before either gotta say it's pretty good, just like the first Unreal Tournament, really. Haven't tried multiplayer yet and wondering whether people still play Quake III online.

The sale that had the Quake pack is over now but right at the moment I see Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY for £7.45 and GTA IV complete for £6.25. If you don't have any of those in my opinion they're well worth getting.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I'm tempted with Oblivion, but i've got like 15 games installed that i havent played yet completed yet and its getting quite crazy! downloaded around 50 gig of games in december! Virgin media must love me hogging all the bandwidth :p

Bad company 2 seems to be one of the best deals so far, im finding the single player much better than any call of duty campaigns. The biggest let downs have to be Dawn of War 2 and supreme commander 2. Dawn of war 2 is nothing like dawn of war 1 and supreme commander is way too complicated, too many units to do too many different things, i suppose i just need to give it more time. I loved dawn of war 1 and installed n played it the other day (completed it too in a few sittings because im that addicted to it). I might have to get another command and conquer game, maybe tiberian wars or red alert 2.

Reaction score
I just finished battlefield bad company 2 on xbox 360.....very good but no black ops....NEXT !! Might try 2033.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I got a few in the sales.

Amnesia The Dark Decent was like £4 or something, and its actually pretty good. Not what i'd usually go for but its not bad. Scared the hell out of me a couple of times now...! lol

Got Need for Speed Hot Pursuit too, not played it yet though.

Along with a few others.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
NFS Hot Pursuit is great fun, I bought it for the Xbox.

I bought Mafia 2 for a fiver and a couple of DLC's - Jimmy's Vendetta and a coupla Hot Rods - for £2.05 and I've played up to where he nicks his first car and sells it to the scrap yard - really enjoyable game so far.

I was tempted by Amnesia myself, may still buy it if it drops in price again.

As I mentioned in another thread the two expansion packs for Quake 1 and one of the expansion packs for Quake 2 don't work in either Win 7 or Win XP and you can't use compatibility settings within Steam, the games won't run. But the other five games run fine.

The Quake 2 expansion pack that has a problem - The Reckoning - actually plays but saved games won't load. I'll e-mail Steam about the problems but I'm not optimistic for solutions.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Decided to give it a miss as I have a few games still to play. Prices looked really good value still they will be even cheaper by the time I decide to buy again.
I'm busy Painkillering at the moment.

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Ah yes i was just going to post about Quake and Win7. :)

Seems this guys make a few patches for both Q1 and Q2

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=972530

and

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1110870

Not tried them myself as i dont have the Quake pack, but maybe worth a look? :)

WoooooooooooooooooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooooooo!! :D

They worked :thumb:

All six Quake 1 & 2 Games now work and saved games load.

Apart from that there have been several mods made, the most noticeable of which is that in all Quake 1 games mouselook is now enabled, you don't have to keep the right mouse button pressed down.

Plus he's added loads of better music.

Only down side was all Quake 2 savegames were lost. I'd only completed the first level of one of the expansion packs though so not too drastic a loss.

Thanks for the links V_R :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No worries. Glad its helped, i'll certainly be keeping an eye out if the packs on sale again. I missed it once, not again. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just finished Expansion pack 2 for Quake 1 - Dissolution Of Eternity - and what a blast that was :)

I didn't have this one when it was released and it's miles better than Expansion Pack 1.

14 levels with really good design, great fun, and good music from that patch mentioned above. If you can imagine the original Quake Music (by Nine Inch Nails) with a dash of Slayer, Trance and a soundtrack to a Hammer Horror Movie then that's pretty much it.

That one expansion pack was worth the £5.74 on it's own.

Bad news about Quake 1 Expansion pack 1 (Scourge Of Armagon) though, it gets stuck at the end of the first level - the gold key doesn't work. And then after a while the gold key disappears from the inventory. I've read about it online and it's a known bug and there doesn't seem to be an answer.

Bit of a bummer but it isn't half as good as expansion pack 2 anyway.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Am gutted i didn't pick that up now, it sounds well worth a play through.... :(

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Good luck with Metro 2033, it starts off well but after 2 or 3 levels in it quickly degenerates into more or less unplayable, or at least that's what I found, I've uninstalled it.

I'm about 8 levels in and still loving it, its defiantly up there with the most scary games I've ever played, specially playing with headphones 0_o . Only Doom 3 scared me more. When you get more into it with better guns its alot more fun, though it takes a while to get the good guns like the automatic shotgun, ak-47 and the magnum with stock, laser and sight. It is probably the most graphical game i've ever played also, better so than crysis in my opinion, specially with direct x 11 turned on, it rips me gfx card and processor to pieces at some points but its all good in the hood, might have to invest into another 6870 to crossfire it up ^^

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
I'm about 8 levels in and still loving it, its defiantly up there with the most scary games I've ever played, specially playing with headphones 0_o . Only Doom 3 scared me more. When you get more into it with better guns its alot more fun, though it takes a while to get the good guns like the automatic shotgun, ak-47 and the magnum with stock, laser and sight. It is probably the most graphical game i've ever played also, better so than crysis in my opinion, specially with direct x 11 turned on, it rips me gfx card and processor to pieces at some points but its all good in the hood, might have to invest into another 6870 to crossfire it up ^^

That's interesting to know. I'm not alone in my criticism of the game though, several other people I know agree with me.

I may give it another go at some time then.

Atm I'm playing Oblivion's Shivering Isles expansion which I bought ages ago but never got round to playing - it's good; Mafia 2; Quake 1 and as ever CoD4 online.

Ask a Question