Starting up a review website. need help with what scripts I should use etc.

Reaction score
Hey ,

My father is really gung ho about starting a general review website for my region.

I am really proficient in HTML and Graphic Design but not in making scripts that can handle what he wants.

Basically, he wants a website that people of my region can go to find good information about businesses throughout the area (restaurants, entertainment centers, hotels, and whatever etc etc) and give ratings on their past experiences...

so if I wanted to go to xx restaurant or place I've heard of from a few friends, I could head over to this website and check out its rep and reviews from other people. Basically a local community of honest information.

I can definately do the HTML and graphic design for this but what I need is something that can make categories (ie . restaurants) sub-categories (ie. A B C D E F G etc.) and sub sub categories (ie. the local tgi fridays, perkins, whatever) . Once they get to the sub sub category they want, the user can view maybe a picture or two of the actual restaurant (or any other kind of place) and see a description of the place. I need something that will also let users rate the place 1-5 or and leave comments etc etc..

I was thinking of basing this off of wordpress but I am not sure if this would work quite well.

Any suggestions? He's been looking online at really wierd review script sites that look like they are just selling a script you could have gotten for free.

Thanks

Reaction score
often you can find people charging for scripts where there are better free, there's some free ones at http://hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Reviews_and_Ratings/index.html

to be honest I think generally you aren't going to find a script that exactly meets your needs (unless you really aren't fussy) so sometimes it's better to start with a free script then change it so it works like you need,. php isn't that hard to learn and if you have someone elses script you can often work out how it works w/o too much trouble :)

Sil

Ask a Question