Standard Deviation Curve

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Misc' started by rai_lanc@hotmail.com, Sep 13, 2007.

  1. Guest

    To all who can help,

    I work for a company who deals with customer dwell time between areas
    of a shopping centre.
    They are tracking people between 2 points to see how long they are
    spending in a particular area.

    I can run reports myself, but using a Java Based program that
    interrogates a database of customers, and where they have been.

    Anyway, the information I get is this :

    Sample Count : 727
    Mean Dwell Time in minutes : 9.6818
    Standard Deviation : 22.9481

    I also can see a standard deviation curve on the screen, but I can't
    export this to Excel...

    My problem is, that I already KNOW the Standard Deviation and the Mean
    Dwell Time, but I want to re-produce these curves in Excel.

    I can't see a way of plotting a curve when I already know the Standard
    Deviation.
    I'm new to this, and I'm probably missing something somewhere - I just
    don't know what!!!

    Any help would be greatly appreciated,

    Many thanks,

    Rachael

    , Sep 13, 2007

  2. Guest Guest

    You may need to provide more information on what you want in your curve. I
    just did Google search for Dwell time curve and saw a lot of options.
    --
    HTH,
    Barb Reinhardt

    Guest, Sep 13, 2007

  3. wrote on Thu, 13 Sep 2007
    02:26:51 -0700:

    rl> I work for a company who deals with customer dwell time
    rl> between areas of a shopping centre.
    rl> They are tracking people between 2 points to see how long
    rl> they are spending in a particular area.

    rl> I can run reports myself, but using a Java Based program
    rl> that interrogates a database of customers, and where they
    rl> have been.

    rl> Anyway, the information I get is this :

    rl> Sample Count : 727
    rl> Mean Dwell Time in minutes : 9.6818
    rl> Standard Deviation : 22.9481

    rl> I also can see a standard deviation curve on the screen,
    rl> but I can't export this to Excel...

    rl> My problem is, that I already KNOW the Standard Deviation
    rl> and the Mean Dwell Time, but I want to re-produce these
    rl> curves in Excel.

    If you know a mean and standard deviation, any of the several
    methods for producing a normal error curve might do what you
    want.....even NORMSDIST tho' it's not my favorite method.
    I personally prefer

    SQRT(LN(RAND())*(-2))*COS(RAND()*2*PI()) *sigma + mean

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not