Standalone Computer - Outlook 2007 - Folders Synchronising

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Discussion' started by Karol Elliott, Oct 25, 2008.

  1. I know this is mentioned in two other posts, but I've read them and they are
    diverting away from the heart of my problem. I have a standalone machine,
    connecting to BT for my mail, I'm running Outlook 2007 on Windows XP, I use
    AVG Internet security. Outlook is set to 10 minute updates and I have
    nothing in my outbox. For the past couple of weeks, when I log on and open
    Outlook it spends 10 - 60 minutes syncronising folders, and my machine stops
    responding to other commands as it eats up the processing power. It does
    finished eventually, but often I just have to kill it. As I am not linked in
    anyway (to my knowledge) to Exchange, what folders is it trying to
    syncronise, with what & why?

    I have run Scanpst.exe on my personal folders.
    I've tried opening in safe mode.
    I have repaired my email accounts without incident.
    I have run Office Diagnostics also without incident.
    I have made sure Automatically Generate Microsoft Exchange Views was
    unticked in the personal folders properties.

    So what's it doing and how do I stop it?

    Many thanks to anyone willing to help.

    Karol Elliott, Oct 25, 2008

  2. Karol Elliott

    DL Guest

    Uninstall any AVG intergration with Outlook
    (simply disabling mail scanning in AVG may not work, best to uninstall,
    reboot, reinstall without the Outlook intergration)

    DL, Oct 25, 2008

  3. I'll try although I've scanned through the options and help and I can't see
    how you do it. It doesn't seem to refer to outlook anywhere in it. I'll
    keep looking, but if you know how, would you mind telling me.

    Thanks

    Karol Elliott, Oct 25, 2008
  4. Karol Elliott

    DL Guest

    I dont use AVG, but generally any AV thats installed will configure itself
    to intergrate into outlook to scan your email, unless you deselect that
    option during its installation.

    According to AVG web site, 'provides email scanning with all major mail
    apps, like Outlook etc'

    DL, Oct 25, 2008
  5. "Karol Elliott" <> wrote in message

    > I'll try although I've scanned through the options and help and I can't
    > see
    > how you do it. It doesn't seem to refer to outlook anywhere in it. I'll
    > keep looking, but if you know how, would you mind telling me.

    When you install AVG, you are given the choice of what component scanners
    you wish to install. One of those components will be the email scanner.
    Uncheck it before completing the installation.
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

    Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook], Oct 27, 2008
  6. Karol Elliott

    patrick Guest

    I have the same proble although my AV is Panda.This has never happened
    before but it seems like outlook 2007 just wants to synchronise folders and I
    can do nothing else ? How do I cure this ?

    Patrick

    --
    CCS

    patrick, Jan 16, 2009