SSE Extension Wars

Discussion in 'AMD 64 Bit' started by dave, Sep 4, 2007.

  1. dave

    dave Guest

    dave, Sep 4, 2007

  2. dave

    Guest

    On Sep 4, 5:41 am, dave <> wrote:
    > SSE extension wars heat up between Intel and AMD
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=719
    >
    > --

    And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
    abhorration.
    hLater,
    Randy Hyde

    , Sep 6, 2007

  3. dave

    Tim Roberts Guest

    "" <> wrote:

    >On Sep 4, 5:41 am, dave <> wrote:
    >> SSE extension wars heat up between Intel and AMD
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=719

    >And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
    >abhorration.

    I'm not so sure that's true. Sooner or later, every monopoly gets toppled,
    and AMD has made some very surprising progress in the battle against Intel.
    Do they have enough of a foothold to stay? I'm not sure, but I don't think
    they're through yet.

    I was amused by "abhorration", which seems like it should be a word, but
    unfortunately is not. The word you were reaching for is "aberration".
    --
    Tim Roberts,
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

    Tim Roberts, Sep 7, 2007
  4. "Tim Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > "" <> wrote:
    > >And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
    > >abhorration.

    > I was amused by "abhorration", which seems like it should be a word, but
    > unfortunately is not. The word you were reaching for is "aberration".

    Are you sure he wasn't reaching for "abhorrence" from "aberration"? I'm
    sure Intel spent too much money and invested too many man hours for EMT to
    be an aberration. However, it was definately abhorrent to a huge industry
    invested in x86. ;)

    RP

    Rod Pemberton, Sep 7, 2007
  5. dave

    Phil Carmody Guest

    Tim Roberts <> writes:
    > "" <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sep 4, 5:41 am, dave <> wrote:
    > >> SSE extension wars heat up between Intel and AMD
    > >>
    > >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=719

    > >And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
    > >abhorration.

    > I'm not so sure that's true. Sooner or later, every monopoly gets toppled,
    > and AMD has made some very surprising progress in the battle against Intel.
    > Do they have enough of a foothold to stay? I'm not sure, but I don't think
    > they're through yet.

    There are two battles, quite different. Intel x86 vs. other x86,
    in which no-one apart from AMD has been able to get Intel to
    suffer from more than a little chaffing. Secondly there's Intel x86
    vs. all other architectures, which has been far less aggressive,
    and slower moving. The other big boys had or have their niche,
    but many of them gave ground to AMD. Historically Intel are fairly
    solid in their position. Funnily enough, AMD doing well in the
    inter-nicene x86 battle probably helps Intel maintain their strong
    x86 vs. other architectures position.

    > I was amused by "abhorration", which seems like it should be a word, but
    > unfortunately is not. The word you were reaching for is "aberration".

    I preferred mapping it onto "abhorrence".

    Phil
    --
    Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
    -- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration

    Phil Carmody, Sep 7, 2007
  6. dave

    dave Guest

    In alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 Tim Roberts <> wrote:
    > "" <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sep 4, 5:41 am, dave <> wrote:
    >>> SSE extension wars heat up between Intel and AMD
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=719

    >>And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
    >>abhorration.

    > I'm not so sure that's true. Sooner or later, every monopoly gets toppled,
    > and AMD has made some very surprising progress in the battle against Intel.
    > Do they have enough of a foothold to stay? I'm not sure, but I don't think
    > they're through yet.
    >
    > I was amused by "abhorration", which seems like it should be a word, but
    > unfortunately is not. The word you were reaching for is "aberration".

    Horriffic is now used so frequently that it might as well be considered a word.
    Abhorration may follow the path of horriffic.--

    dave, Sep 7, 2007
  7. Tim Roberts schrieb:
    > I was amused by "abhorration", which seems like it should be a word, but
    > unfortunately is not.

    I think it's a perfectly cromulent word.

    Sebastian Biallas, Sep 7, 2007
  8. dave

    Spoon Guest

    Randy Hyde wrote:

    > And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win.
    > EMT was an abhorration.

    ITYM aberration :)

    Spoon, Sep 7, 2007
  9. dave

    mike3 Guest

    On Sep 6, 9:40 pm, Tim Roberts <> wrote:
    > "" <> wrote:
    > >On Sep 4, 5:41 am, dave <> wrote:
    > >> SSE extension wars heat up between Intel and AMD

    > >>http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=719

    > >And, as history almost *always* indicates, Intel will win. EMT was an
    > >abhorration.

    > I'm not so sure that's true. Sooner or later, every monopoly gets toppled,

    Let's hope *Microsoft's* monopoly gets toppled soon.

    mike3, Sep 16, 2007