SSD Performance in Windows 7

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
HardOCP have an interesting article on how SSD RAID performs in Windows 7. Although the hardware used in the article is expensive and out of bounds for all but the most serious enthusiast, it does hint towards the kind of performance we may see in a few years time.

"When this article was conceived it was to be an informative article for both newcomers and enthusiasts to the world of SSDs. What steps were needed to properly set up your new SSD as well as how to get the very most performance from your drive. As mentioned before, the technology behind SSD has progressed so quickly that much of the information out on the web is on the verge of being obsolete, save for some older SSDs.

For today's article we are going to show you guys what a lot of you can expect when you jump on the Windows 7 bandwagon and slap together some RAID-0 SSD awesomeness with a sprinkle of the Intel ICH10R Southbridge aka x58 chipset. Just for good measure we are going to toss in some charts when running a dedicated RAID card to see what, if any, boost can be expected from such a setup."

You can read the full article here.

Attachments

• icon.jpg
    icon.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,190

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's looking very promising, isn't it :)

Past trends show that once a technology is accepted, prices fall quickly.

I only realised recently that the life of an SSD is finite, there's only so many times you can change the state of a piece of silicon to 0 or 1, I thought they'd last for ever.

I wonder, on average, whether they will outlast a mechanical hard drive?

Ask a Question