    the spooler to stop. (if I restart it then it crashes as soon as I attempt
    anything that might use it) .

    I am running Vista Ultimate and always install the latest updates.

    Guest, May 20, 2007

  2. Sounds like the CutePDF printer driver isn't playing well with Vista. Have
    you contacted the maker for any updates and/or a Vista compatible version?

    --
    Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]

    Richard G. Harper, May 20, 2007

    Thanks for the reply, but no, I don't think that Cute PDF is the problem,
    since the spooler crashes every time I log into windows. (I was noting
    CutePDF since the other solutions I have seen involve playing with drivers,
    however CutePDF is a single install file and does not have separate drivers.)
    I try restarting the spooler but every time I either
    a) try to install CutePDF or
    b) try to access anything in the "printers" section of the control panel

    It is a pain since I have no idea why the spooler stops working (Message I
    get is "Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed") when I don't
    have any printers (or other programs that I can think of) installed on the
    computer that would touch the spooler.

    Anyone else have a possible solution?

    (Thanks in advance)

    Guest, May 20, 2007

    Thanks for the reply, but no, I don't think that Cute PDF is the problem,
    since the spooler crashes every time I log into windows. (I was noting
    CutePDF since the other solutions I have seen involve playing with drivers,
    however CutePDF is a single install file and does not have separate drivers,
    also I have the Vista version - Their support tech advised me that the
    program will not install if the spooler isn't running) I try restarting the
    spooler but every time I either
    a) try to install CutePDF or
    b) try to access anything in the "printers" section of the control panel
    It crashes again.

    Guest, May 20, 2007
  5. Uninstall it and see if the crashes stop. I'm betting they will and that
    the CutePDF is the cause of your problems.

    Richard G. Harper, May 20, 2007

    It isn't installed.

    The program setup exits (with error -101) before it finishes installing, and
    removes any files it created (I was advised that the error 101 meant that the
    program could not reach the spooler.)

    I cannot add physical printer either. When I go control panel > printers >
    add printer I get error 0x000006be and the spooler stops.

    Guest, May 20, 2007
  7. Sounds like it's time for System Restore. Restore to a point before you
    tried installing CuteFTP.

    Richard G. Harper, May 21, 2007
  8. Sorry - meant use SR to restore to a point before you installed CutePDF.
    Sounds like the crashed install has screwed up the spooler.

    Richard G. Harper, May 21, 2007

    I have the same problem, It is definitely a vista problem and not a printer
    problem.

    I have tried to install two separate printers both from different
    manufacturers. I have downloaded their drivers from the website and followed
    all instructions on the websites available.

    In frustration, I have even formatted the hard drive and re-installed
    windows. My printers are less than four months old and there is even driver
    support for installing them within windows although I have downloaded the
    latest drivers, furthermore my printer has memory card ports and they work,
    as does the attached scanner, it is just that, for some reason the spooler
    crashes every time I try to add the printer.

    This is totally unacceptable. Surely someone else is having the same
    problems with this particular error message. Am I better to just revert to
    XP and can I receive a refund for vista because it is clear that it simply
    does not work. As a lawyer, I assume that it is part of the implied contract
    for teh sale of a faulty product.

    Guest, Jun 1, 2007

    John, did you ever get your printer problem solved? I am dealing with the
    same one.

    Patti

    Guest, Jun 26, 2007