Splitit Program make join.bat file falsely dectected as virus by AVG

Discussion in 'Anti-Virus' started by Bun Mui, Jul 4, 2004.

  1. Bun Mui

    Bun Mui Guest

    I use this program to split a large file into pieces.

    http://www.jlctools.com/jlcsplitit/index.htm

    However each time a *.bat file is made the AVG detects it
    as virus and try to do something to it.


    How can I disable the feature in AVG which detects join.bat
    as a virus infection? Cause I need the file to join the
    portions of files back together.

    Thanks.


    Bun Mui
     
    Bun Mui, Jul 4, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Bun Mui

    kurt wismer Guest

    Re: Splitit Program make join.bat file falsely dectected as virusby AVG

    Bun Mui wrote:
    > I use this program to split a large file into pieces.
    >
    > http://www.jlctools.com/jlcsplitit/index.htm
    >
    > However each time a *.bat file is made the AVG detects it
    > as virus and try to do something to it.
    >
    >
    > How can I disable the feature in AVG which detects join.bat
    > as a virus infection? Cause I need the file to join the
    > portions of files back together.


    ??? you don't want to disable the feature where avg tries to detect
    viruses, you want to get the people who make avg to fix their false
    alarm problem...

    contact their tech support and tell them that their product is false
    alarming on files created by that software...

    --
    "maxwell can tell he's in hell
    just wants you to visit him there
    same old game that he's playin'
    his rules are never fair"
     
    kurt wismer, Jul 4, 2004
    #2
  3. Bun Mui

    BoB Guest

    >Bun Mui wrote:
    >> I use this program to split a large file into pieces.
    >>
    >> http://www.jlctools.com/jlcsplitit/index.htm
    >>
    >> However each time a *.bat file is made the AVG detects it
    >> as virus and try to do something to it.
    >>
    >>
    >> How can I disable the feature in AVG which detects join.bat
    >> as a virus infection? Cause I need the file to join the
    >> portions of files back together.


    I would suggest you get a different FREE splitter/joiner
    program. There ARE many and better programs available. See:

    http://www.pricelessware.org

    BoB
     
    BoB, Jul 5, 2004
    #3
  4. Bun Mui

    Bart Bailey Guest

    In Message-ID:<> posted on
    Mon, 05 Jul 2004 09:45:38 -0400, BoB wrote: Begin:

    >>Bun Mui wrote:
    >>> I use this program to split a large file into pieces.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.jlctools.com/jlcsplitit/index.htm
    >>>
    >>> However each time a *.bat file is made the AVG detects it
    >>> as virus and try to do something to it.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> How can I disable the feature in AVG which detects join.bat
    >>> as a virus infection? Cause I need the file to join the
    >>> portions of files back together.

    >
    >I would suggest you get a different FREE splitter/joiner
    >program. There ARE many and better programs available. See:


    That program has been around for five years, is one of the best, and the
    batch file is very simple. No excuse for any AV crapware to false on it.

    >
    >http://www.pricelessware.org
    >
    >BoB


    So a perfectly good program has to be abandoned because a faulty
    definition in an AV scanner falses on it?
    Sounds like, if after submission to AVG, they can't or won't fix it,
    it's time for a different AV application.


    --

    Bart
     
    Bart Bailey, Jul 5, 2004
    #4
  5. Bun Mui

    BoB Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 10:22:37 -0700, Bart Bailey <> wrote:

    >In Message-ID:<> posted on
    >Mon, 05 Jul 2004 09:45:38 -0400, BoB wrote: Begin:
    >
    >>>Bun Mui wrote:
    >>>> I use this program to split a large file into pieces.
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.jlctools.com/jlcsplitit/index.htm
    >>>>
    >>>> However each time a *.bat file is made the AVG detects it
    >>>> as virus and try to do something to it.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> How can I disable the feature in AVG which detects join.bat
    >>>> as a virus infection? Cause I need the file to join the
    >>>> portions of files back together.

    >>
    >>I would suggest you get a different FREE splitter/joiner
    >>program. There ARE many and better programs available. See:

    >
    >That program has been around for five years, is one of the best, and the
    >batch file is very simple. No excuse for any AV crapware to false on it.
    >
    >>http://www.pricelessware.org
    >>
    >>BoB

    >
    >So a perfectly good program has to be abandoned because a faulty
    >definition in an AV scanner falses on it?


    The manner in which Splitit is programmed to produce .bat files is
    probably why AVG suspects it. Whether they would be able to change
    AVG or not, I could not guess. I would hope all four of my AVs would
    alert me to programs capable of writing .bat files. None do.

    >Sounds like, if after submission to AVG, they can't or won't fix it,
    >it's time for a different AV application.


    Avast can hold its own with AVG, if someone thinks this problem
    is serious enough to dump AVG. I could see your point, Bart, if
    free AVs were dime a dozen and there were not better splitters
    available.

    BoB
     
    BoB, Jul 7, 2004
    #5
  6. Bun Mui

    Bart Bailey Guest

    In Message-ID:<> posted on
    Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:25:35 -0400, BoB wrote: Begin

    >Avast can hold its own with AVG, if someone thinks this problem
    >is serious enough to dump AVG. I could see your point, Bart, if
    >free AVs were dime a dozen and there were not better splitters
    >available.


    What's a better splitter? Care to name one?
    How about taking a peek at one of the join.bat files that Splitit
    produces and see how harmful it could possibly be.

    Basically I don't care what splitter you use, not my files at stake, nor
    do I care which AV you either use or refuse to use, again, not my files
    at stake.
    Neither F-Prot 3.14b nor KAV 3.5.133 have falsing issues with Splitit.

    --

    Bart
     
    Bart Bailey, Jul 7, 2004
    #6
  7. Bun Mui

    BoB Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:03:35 -0700, Bart Bailey <> wrote:

    >In Message-ID:<> posted on
    >Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:25:35 -0400, BoB wrote: Begin
    >
    >>Avast can hold its own with AVG, if someone thinks this problem
    >>is serious enough to dump AVG. I could see your point, Bart, if
    >>free AVs were dime a dozen and there were not better splitters
    >>available.

    >
    >What's a better splitter? Care to name one?


    I checked out splitit and over a dozen others in the past five
    years, but always recommend Pricelessware.org as they list the
    best splitters voted by alt.comp.freeware members each year.
    Priclessware covers 'all' types of freeware, not just splitters.

    >How about taking a peek at one of the join.bat files that Splitit
    >produces and see how harmful it could possibly be.


    I use Total Commander which has its own split/join built in. I
    have no doubt what so ever that Splitit is harmless. It was when
    I tested it.

    >Basically I don't care what splitter you use, not my files at stake, nor
    >do I care which AV you either use or refuse to use, again, not my files
    >at stake.
    >Neither F-Prot 3.14b nor KAV 3.5.133 have falsing issues with Splitit.


    I wouldn't be surprised if AVG was the only AV that false alerts
    on splitit. Avast can be set to ignore anything you wish. I don't
    recall AVG having this feature.

    BoB
     
    BoB, Jul 8, 2004
    #7
  8. In article <>,
    says...
    > I use this program to split a large file into pieces.
    >
    > http://www.jlctools.com/jlcsplitit/index.htm
    >
    > However each time a *.bat file is made the AVG detects it
    > as virus and try to do something to it.
    >
    >
    > How can I disable the feature in AVG which detects join.bat
    > as a virus infection? Cause I need the file to join the
    > portions of files back together.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    >
    > Bun Mui
    >

    Open the .bat file with notepad before you run it. If it looks ok why
    don't you just shut AVG down for the few minutes it takes to join the
    files?
    --
    www.newromesucks.com
    www.hamsterforpresident.com
     
    Machine Messiah, Jul 9, 2004
    #8

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. mrp
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    281
  2. cliff pooley
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    354
    Geese_Hunter
    Apr 12, 2004
  3. Bun Mui
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    332
  4. genius boy
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    250
  5. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,287
    Frazer Jolly Goodfellow
    Apr 16, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page