Speed up Firefox 3+ by vacuuming your place(s)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Firefox only (Windows/Mac/Linux): On Monday we showed you how to speed up Firefox by vacuuming your fragmented database regularly using a copy-and-paste Error Console command. Sounds like a pain, right? Vacuum Places Improved handles it for you with a mouse click.

This experimental extension adds a small icon to the Firefox status bar that, when clicked automatically "vacuums" your Places database—the one that slows down Firefox when it gets fragmented. You can also automate the task by ticking the Automatically clean places checkbox in the Vacuum Places Improved extension Preferences and entering your desired number of Firefox startups since last cleaning.

It still doesn't solve one of the biggest items on our Firefox wishlist (i.e., better memory management), but at least its an easy way to execute one of the workarounds.

Vacuum Places Improved is an experimental extension (so install with caution), works wherever Firefox does.
http://lifehacker.com/5347125/vacuum-places-improved-speeds-up-firefox-with-a-click-of-your-mouse

Or the other way is without installing the addon...

1. Open the Error Console: Tools menu/Error Console
2. In the Code text box paste this (it's a single line):

Components.classes["@mozilla.org/browser/nav-history-service;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsPIPlacesDatabase).DBConnection.executeSimpleSQL("VACUUM");

3. Press Evaluate. All the UI will freeze for a few seconds while databases are VACUUMed

http://lifehacker.com/5344418/make-firefox-faster-by-vacuuming-your-database

I've done it and my profile is about 10-15mb smaller and FF loads faster. :)

Reaction score
thanks it worked a treat wow

want to do this one at work too

anything like this for IE?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Excellent, my firefox now opens at lightning speed!:thumb:

Ask a Question