Sony Vaio PCG-F190 keeps powering down

Reaction score
Can anyone help my sony vaio f190 keeps switching off for no apparent reason. It is using the mains to power. I used the system restore disk to start again from fresh but its still doing the same thing.
Is it worth fixing.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What causes it to switch off, is there anything that triggers it? What happens when it is running from the battery?

You'll have to give quite a few more details so we can help :)

Reaction score
It only switches off when the operating system is in use. The battery is now different that when on mains power. If i was to work in dos or go into the bios i would be able to stay their for the duration of the battery life without powering down , but as soon as i go into the operating system it switches of immediately

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How very strange, and it does this after a fresh install too? How long can you manage to stay in Windows on average before it powers down?

Also, does it just "turn off" or does it power down the normal windows way ("shuts down")? If it actually shuts down, then you might have to reconfigure the power management options.

Reaction score
My PCG-F190 just started doing the same thing.... It will power down with the power light still on... It may take several attempts at powering down then backup to get the system going again. Then I have no idea how long it will stay running. It does this in both W2K and Linux. I was able to get it to power up everytime by turning hybernation OFF in the bois. But even with it off, the system will just shut down. I have no battery in the computer as it died years ago and I have been running just fine without one. This is a new event in the last couple weeks.Any insights are appreciated..

Bill

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Most, if not all, laptops/notebooks (and even your PC) are fitted with a "thermal sensor" which is designed to “shut down” the system if it detects it overheating. And that’s just what is happening to your system.

It IS a particular problem with Sony Vaio …
The voltage coming from the AC-DC adaptor or from the battery is about 20 volts. Intel Pentium/Celeron-processors are working with lower voltages (2-3 volts) to reduce thermal loss so, the voltage from battery has to be regulated down to the CPU -voltage and it has to be stabilized. For stabilization there are 11 capacitors around the CPU. These capacitors are exposed to the heat generated by the processor and loose their capacitance gradually (in course of some years) resulting in an unstable voltage supply to the processor.

But why is the laptop shutting down?
There is an internal safety device inside the processor. This "thermal sensor" is supposed to tell the operating system when the CPU gets too hot resulting in an immediate shutdown to protect the processor from overheating. Having the situation of an unstable CPU voltage supply the thermal sensor is sending an overheat-message to the OS falsely.

Software workaround for Windows 98

I don’t take any credit for this solution … I just searched via Google.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
wjohnst2 The solution for Linux is a little easier.
And you don't need to compile a new kernel in order to fix it.

The trick works on Mandrake 9 but it should work on any distribution :

- When you have the choice to press ENTER or F1 to install Mandrake from
the CDROM, press F1 to choose an alternate way of installation
- Type : linux *apm=off no-hlt*

Here is the trick
Disabling apm is not enough in Linux, you should also
disable the HLT instruction. This is related to cpu iddle. On any
serious distribution, you could append parameters to the kernel at boot
time so the principle will be the same on other distributions.

Then, you can install Mandrake without shutdown during the installation...

After, you must choose and configure the boot manager (lilo or
grub), you must edit the entries in order to add the options *apm=off
no-hlt* to the kernel at boot time.

Then, there should be no problem

Ask a Question