Any solution to this problem? Thanks.

B

Brian Tillman

TJ said:
I have a problem with several users on this. Basically, they are
using Personal Address Book and set Outlook to keep their personal
addresses in Personal Address Book.

The PAB is obsolete and hasn't been used by Outlook since OL 98. All
addresses should be kept in the Contacts folder.

Reaction score
After searching high and low, I finally gave up and started playing with Outlook myself to solve this. Now that I've come up with a fix, I figure I'll try to save all of you some time and post it.

Now that I know the solution for me, let me predict something for you: The user has (or at least had, at one time) multiple PST files open at the same time. If this is the case, your problem is problem stemming from the fact that Outlook is currently set to add new contacts to the wrong Contacts folder, as each PST file has its own Contacts folder.

You can view all of the Contacts folders that Outlook is aware of by clicking Tools > Address Book, then (within the Address Book window) Tools > Options. For me, there were multiple (5) entries in the "Keep personal addresses in:" drop down box. You can view which Contacts folder belongs to which PST file by selecting each Contacts entry in the bottom "When sending mail..." list one by one, and clicking Properties. Once you find the right Contacts folder (the one that leads to the Local PST file currently in use), remember its position in the list, and then select the corresponding Contacts entry in the "Keep personal addresses in:" drop down box.

Just as a note, what was actually happening to me was the drop down box was set to a Contacts folder stored in a PST file that I do not access anymore, hence Outlook not being able to add contacts to it.

Hope this works for you. Good luck.

Rob

Last edited:

Ask a Question