Socket 5 upgrade adapter

Reaction score
Anyone tried using one of those adapters that plug into a socket 5 CPU socket to enable k6-2 CPUs to be used in an old m/b?

Looking into it for a friend (tomshardware.com has got a guide on it which makes it seem effective?) and wondering what kind of performance i could acheive, uprading from an old P75, using a 400Mhz K6-2.

It did seem a little stupid when i first heard of it, consdiering the performance will obviously be limited by the other old slow components, but what do you guys/girls think?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You are correct in your assumption of the limitation of the P75.

Lots of dealers will do a package of new motherboard, CPU & memory for a good price. However, you will have then to use what is left in the P75 system to make it workable and still slow!

MHO is to leave the P75 as is and start pricing up for a new system, self built of course, you can get yourself a very good system for around £400-£500.

One area I would spend a lot of time on would be choice of MB. The KT3 Ultra-ARU will take a Duron to get you going but can cost over £100 but the ECS K7S5A can do the similar job for £40. You get what you pay for & the choice is yours in the end.

Mucks. :crazy:

Reaction score
That's kind of what I was thinking anyway. Besides, the poor K-6 400mhz would be wasted in a would be P75. I don't think I've got the heart to do that.

I have homebuilt a couple of PCs before, so i guess i'll look into that. I opened up the P75 it it does seem to have some good components that'll probably do fine with a new m/b. I think it must have been a top of the range PC in its time. The only thing it doesn't have is an ATX power supply, so I think i'll buy a new case and PSU, put a new m/b in that, and replace the sondcard, modem, etc.

Thanks for the advice.

Ask a Question