Snow

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Very nice photos @nivrip. Is that little bridge intended for humans? (With my sense of balance, I'd probably end-up paddling!:lol:) The peak in the distance, is very volcano-shaped, I wonder if it ever was, in the dim, distant past?

I know that I've said it before Niv, but you certainly live amongst some great scenery. :thumb:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Is that little bridge intended for humans? (With my sense of balance, I'd probably end-up paddling!:lol:) The peak in the distance, is very volcano-shaped, I wonder if it ever was, in the dim, distant past?

It's an artificial lake, created for fishing and stocked by the owners. The bridge leads across to a little island.

The hill in the background is Roseberry Topping, our local Matterhorn. It was never volcanic but it used to be perfectly conical until the early 1800s when ironstone was found there. They merrily hacked away a lot of the front of the hill as you can see in the second picture only to find that the seam ran out fairly quickly. No thoughts of conservation then. :D

Still, it gives it its distinctive shape now as below -

DSCF3195g2.jpg

:)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Well I woke up at 4 am and looked out the window and it was snowing. Fell back asleep and woke up around 9 am and there was no sign of snow so maybe I was dreaming.

Reaction score
It is strange isn’t it that we Brits make such a fuss about snow, our problem is we do not have enough of it to get used to it and local authorises when we do get a large amount cannot cope as it is not worth spending billions on machinery which may only be used once in a blue moon in every 20 years. I can remember the winter 1961/62 when we had about of 3 months of it the armed forces were called out to help because there were drifts of 6 to feet to 7 feet well they were on Dartmoor where I and other members of the Royals were clearing roads with shovels, we get six inches and we are in deep mire so too speak. The real trouble is that we do not get enough snow at regular times.
I can remember the winter of 1947,now that was cold We on our way to London from Leicester where we were evacuated to in1940 or there about.We even encountered tanks,they were smashing the ice on the road.Took us hours to get to London,and we were in removals van,so cold.
Historian

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
The hill in the background is Roseberry Topping, our local Matterhorn.
What a great name @nivrip! It sounds as if it should be a dessert. Despite being hacked about, it has a lot of character and looks very interesting with its wintery dressing of snow, and in its summer colours.

Thank you for the additional info about the peak and the bridge. Hmm, just as I thought, to cross that bridge would (for me) be a little like walking-the-plank. ;)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/port_of_helsinki/web_cameras/south_harbour

Sunrise today at 8:58. Sunset today at 16:06. Length of day is 7 h 8 min.

Recent weather observation Fri 22.1. 9:00

Temperature -22.7 °C
Humidity 81%
Dew point -25.1 °C
Precipitation during the previous hour 0.0 mm
Wind speed 1 m/s
Wind direction north wind (356°)
Wind gust 1 m/s
Pressure 1029.3 hPa
Visibility 15 km
Cloud cover sky clear (0/8)
Snow depth 20 cm