Slow Startup/Shutdown and Slow Application Load Times

Discussion in 'Windows XP Performance' started by Guest, Feb 7, 2007.

    I have an HP machine that is about 6 years old, but which has had many
    upgrades over the years. It is currently running 1gig of memory, two hard
    drives with plenty of available space remaining and a 1.2ghz Intel processor.

    I plan to upgrade very soon, but I need this one to run decently in the
    meantime.

    The computer is left on all the time and rebooted at least once weekly.
    Over the past year or so, the boot time has increased to around 5 minutes.
    Additionally, in the last couple of days I have noticed a significant delay
    in the load time of all applications. Once they load, they perform fine for
    the most part, but any heavy processing that takes place within a given
    program takes longer. I can hear the processor crunching away a *LOT* more
    than it should given the task at hand.

    I ran Spyware Doctor last night and all it found was tracking cookies. I
    removed all those and things are still slow. I'm guessing that I probably
    need to run Spyware Doctor and Adaware as well. I run an up-to-date Symantec
    anti-virus program.

    Are there any other suggestions? Should I look at what's running in my task
    manager? I don't recall the exact number, but I seem to recall that there
    were *many* things running -- at least 56 and very likely more than that.

    Guest, Feb 7, 2007

  2. Rob

    Any recent Norton Anti-Virus is too much for a computer of your
    vintage. Go for a freeware anti-virus such as AVG 7.5 as this will
    place far less demands on the system. Most anti-virus programmes scan
    as soon as the desktop appears. If you have Norton Internet this makes
    the situation far worse..

    An out of date BIOS and third party drivers needing updating can often
    affect boot up times but should not impact on the time after the
    desktop appears.

    Look for any Error or Warning Reports in the System or Application
    logs in Event Viewer and post copies.

    You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Control Panel,
    Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning
    of the error, information regarding Event ID, Source and Description
    are important.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-us

    Part of the Description of the error will include a link, which you
    should double click for further information. You can copy using copy
    and paste. Often the link will, however, say there is no further
    information.
    http://go.microsoft.com/fw.link/events.asp
    (Please note the hyperlink above is for illustration purposes only)

    A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
    click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a
    button resembling two pages. Click the button and close Event Viewer.
    Now start your message (email) and do a paste into the body of the
    message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from Event
    Viewer.

    For the slow shutdown download and install the User Profile Hive
    Cleanup Service
    Download details: User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
    http://snipurl.com/5b61

    UPHClean v1.5e readme.txt
    http://snipurl.com/ko8m

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry Cornell, Feb 8, 2007

    "Rob" wrote:

    > I have an HP machine that is about 6 years old, but which has had many
    > upgrades over the years. It is currently running 1gig of memory, two hard
    > drives with plenty of available space remaining and a 1.2ghz Intel processor.
    >
    > I plan to upgrade very soon, but I need this one to run decently in the
    > meantime.
    >
    > The computer is left on all the time and rebooted at least once weekly.
    > Over the past year or so, the boot time has increased to around 5 minutes.
    > Additionally, in the last couple of days I have noticed a significant delay
    > in the load time of all applications. Once they load, they perform fine for
    > the most part, but any heavy processing that takes place within a given
    > program takes longer. I can hear the processor crunching away a *LOT* more
    > than it should given the task at hand.
    >
    > I ran Spyware Doctor last night and all it found was tracking cookies. I
    > removed all those and things are still slow. I'm guessing that I probably
    > need to run Spyware Doctor and Adaware as well. I run an up-to-date Symantec
    > anti-virus program.
    >
    > Are there any other suggestions? Should I look at what's running in my task
    > manager? I don't recall the exact number, but I seem to recall that there
    > were *many* things running -- at least 56 and very likely more than that.

    My computer does the same thing even though it is only 3 years old. When
    turning it on, let everything load and walk away for ten minutes or so. Come
    back and try to open a program. It should open just fine without much work or
    delay.

    I hope this helps.

    Guest, Feb 10, 2007