Slow Database

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
For some reason the database has been chugging along very slowly today, so I'm working on finding out what the cause is at the moment :thumb:

Sorry if you've been having problems with the site being a little slow, but hopefully it will be back to normal tomorrow morning :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
For some reason the database has been chugging along very slowly today, so I'm working on finding out what the cause is at the moment :thumb:

Sorry if you've been having problems with the site being a little slow, but hopefully it will be back to normal tomorrow morning :)

The site has been getting steadily slower over the last few days. Today I have been lucky to get on. Mozzila returns Timed out...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh dear, I didn't realise it was that bad :eek: Has it been timing out for anyone else?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Last few days has been very slow, getting slower, culminating in it timing out for the first time this evening.

I was going to mention it but, well, usually it just rights itself...

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
No time outs but certainly slower than usual. :nod:

Reaction score
No time outs here either Ian but it is very slow.....hope you can sort the problemma.

Zzzzz

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Quick this morning. :) Seems to be back to normal. :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I think it has improved a little, but still not quite normal here. (Duh! I don't mean me!:p)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've made some big code changes to one of the PHP files this morning, which removes one of the very slow queries on the site... however, I need to give it some testing over a couple of weeks to see how it works.

It could have the unindended side-effect of showing the wrong number of pages in large forums. I don't think this should happen, but it's something I need to watch out for and fix it if it crops up (I doubt anyone would notice unless to be honest even if it did happen).

I'll report back if things change :D

edit: Just done a test on the big sections and it seems ok :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What happens when you try to reply to them Viv? It could just be a one-off as I cleared a cache before I logged out of the server - does it work ok now?

I don't know if it's just at this end, but the site seems lightening fast at the moment :eek: I didn't think this tweak would have had such a big impact.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
My goodness, it has really speeded-up since my previous visit :nod: Well done Ian, it's great! :thumb: :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks TC, I'm glad to have confirmation that it seems to be working :D

I don't touch the server nowadays unless something goes wrong, so hopefully it will stay like this for a long time :)

Reaction score
Nobody in particular said:
Same, nice and quick
nod.gif

All fine here. :nod: Great work Ian,

Ask a Question