    opening a program, not to mention loosing driver files for
    my mouse and cd burner which have now been taken over by
    xp drivers that dont work properly helpppppppppp

    Danielle, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Danielle

    John A Guest

    Oh dear!

    What is speed and RAM size of your computer?

    Re drivers, go to manufacturer's web sites and download latest XP
    drivers, if they exist.

    John A

    John A, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Danielle

    Box134 Guest

    Oh sweetie, you'll have to provide more details than than. How much memory
    do you have and what processor do you have? Maybe you just don't have enough
    horsepower to run XP. It doesn't take a lot, but if you haven't upgraded
    your hardware for a while, it could be a factor. (My laptop has just 90 MB
    memory and it grinds quite a while on start-up.)

    Another thing to check is for running programs. Having too many background
    applications starting up can slow your boot.

    Box134, Nov 4, 2003
  4. Danielle;
    The original drivers were not compatible with Windows XP.
    Did you check to be sure the computer is ready for Windows XP? If
    not, check now, #3 Upgrade Advisor:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/default.asp

    Run an updated virus scan.
    Or Scan for Viruses online:
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp?j=1&langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=IRLFIZTYMWPAZTJWUFJ
    Run Disk Cleanup checking all boxes except "Compress old files"
    (Windows XP)
    Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Clean-up
    Run Defrag.
    Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter
    If you have file sharing software such as Kazaa, disable it.
    Check this link:
    http://www.aumha.org/a/noads.php
    Run Ad-Aware (free version) or Spybot to check for spyware:
    http://www.lavasoft.de/ (Update if you already have it)
    Or
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/ (Update if you already have it)
    This may apply if you recently installed Windows XP Service Pack 1:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815411

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Nov 4, 2003
  5. Danielle

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Nov 5, 2003
  6. Greetings --

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Hardware Compatibility
    List: (http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for and sold with Win9x/Me
    very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent hardware quality
    requirements. This is particularly true of many models in Compaq's
    consumer-class Presario product line or HP's consumer-class Pavilion
    product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K before it, is quite
    sensitive to borderline defective hardware (particularly motherboards,
    RAM and hard drives) that will still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064

    Bruce Chambers

    --