    ---
    "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence."
    Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)

    Adrian, Jul 31, 2003

  2. "Adrian" <> wrote in message
    news:QSbWa.116824$...
    > Do sleeve bearing fans have that much of a shorter life compared to
    > ball bearing fans? I'm referring to case fans. I like the low dBa's
    > of the Papst fans, but I found out they are sleeve bearing, which I
    > believe doesn't last as long as single or double ball bearing
    > equivalents.

    Double ball bearing are of higher quality and longer life.

    Richard Dower, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Adrian

    ric Guest

    Adrian wrote:

    > Do sleeve bearing fans have that much of a shorter life compared to
    > ball bearing fans? I'm referring to case fans. I like the low dBa's
    > of the Papst fans, but I found out they are sleeve bearing, which I
    > believe doesn't last as long as single or double ball bearing
    > equivalents.

    Not all sleeve bearings are created equal. Papst utilizes SINTEC sleeve
    bearings in some of their fans, with MTBFs near that of ball bearings.

    Read http://www.ebm.com/pdfs/motor.pdf

    Sleeve bearing fans reliability also depends if they are input or exhaust
    fans. Heat is the enemy of sleeve bearings, and they survive longer in a
    25 degree C environment rather than a higher temperature (exhaust) one.

    ric, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    Do you know anywhere in the US that sells these fans? Especially in
    120x120x38 (or x32) size? All I can find are places in Europe.

    Thanks.

    ~ Adrian ~

    ---

    Adrian, Jul 31, 2003
  5. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    Thanks for the information.

    Is Papst a good make? Problem is, I can't seem to find them here in
    the U.S. I'd like to think Papst is a good make, being German. I
    would need one in 120x38mm form.

    ~ Adrian ~

    ---

    Adrian, Aug 1, 2003
  6. Adrian

    AJ Guest

    >Zalman's case fans are sleeve bearing too.

    I have several and like them alot. Move very high amounts of air at
    way lower dB than bearing fans. Only draw back, you can never place a
    sleeve bearing fan horizontal or you have almost instant bearing
    failure.
    When your PC gives a little they give alot:
    http://tinyurl.com/hhez

    AJ, Aug 1, 2003
  7. Adrian

    Your Name Guest