Site Backups - Midnight GMT Sunday

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
To make sure the PC Review backups are 100% accurate, weekly backups will be manually taken late on every Sunday night. The site will be down for approximately 5-10 minutes when this takes place to ensure that the database does not change during the backup.

Although this is not idea, it is the only way to make reliable backups for such a large database without an extra server, $1500+ live innodb software or risking corrupt backups. I am looking into ways to backup data daily on a live basis, whilst still ensuring complete datasets and no downtime.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry for the downtime - I installed some automated backup software that sounded promising and it brought the server down... I think I will avoid that one in future!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Sorry for the downtime - I installed some automated backup software that sounded promising and it brought the server down... I think I will avoid that one in future!
Me is happy the DB was not lost ... :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, server was offline for 10 mins for a manual backup... although I need to find a solution for live backups.

Anyone here a MySQL / InnoDB expert?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Typical... just as I was about to give up doing a live backup, I've found an app that works... will report back soon :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yup, appears to work - all done in the last 15 mins all online :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ian ... your talking to yourself.

Stop it.

:D

Ask a Question