Sisela 0.2 - A 1.44MB boot disk for routers

Discussion in 'Freeware' started by Gordon Darling, Aug 31, 2003.

  1. Subject: Sisela 0.2 - A 1.44MB boot disk for routers
    with ISA/PCI/PCMCIA/Cardbus and wireless support.
    Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 17:55:18 +0000 (UTC)

    About:
    Sisela is a 1.44MB Linux-based boot disk that allows you to turn any spare
    PC system into a router, firewall, wireless access point, or any
    combination of these functions. It supports ISA, PCI, PCMCIA, and CardBus
    network cards, including wireless adapters. It provides a DHCP
    client/server, remote access through SSH2, DNS caching/forwarding, and
    iptables-based firewalling.

    Changes:
    An SSH2 server and DNS caching/forwarding server were added. Practically
    every ISA/PCI/PCMCIA/CardBus network driver in Linux 2.4.22 is now
    included and autodetected. The build process is now automated, and a
    source package is available.

    Release focus: Major feature enhancements
    License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
    Project URL: http://freshmeat.net/projects/sisela/

    Regards
    Gordon

    Gordon Darling, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Gordon Darling

    GamePlayer Guest

    > Sisela is a 1.44MB Linux-based boot disk that allows you to turn any
    > spare PC system into a router, firewall, wireless access point, or any
    > combination of these functions. It supports ISA, PCI, PCMCIA, and
    > CardBus network cards, including wireless adapters. It provides a DHCP
    > client/server, remote access through SSH2, DNS caching/forwarding, and
    > iptables-based firewalling.

    Does this (or any other floppyfw you know of) support the Speedtouch ADSL
    modems *and* vpn?
    I was looking at LEAF for a vpn/fw/router box, but couldn't convince my
    speedtouch to work with it...

    GamePlayer, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Gordon Darling

    JanC Guest

    GamePlayer <> schreef:

    > Does this (or any other floppyfw you know of) support the Speedtouch ADSL
    > modems *and* vpn?

    VPN-type applications require port forwarding to work from after a NAT
    router.

    --
    JanC

    JanC, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Gordon Darling

    Mark Blain Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:14:32 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Darling
    <gordondarling@no*spam.lycos.co.uk> wrote:

    >...Sisela is a 1.44MB Linux-based boot disk that allows you to turn any spare
    >PC system into a router, firewall, wireless access point, or any
    >combination of these functions...

    Interesting. Sounds similar to FreeSCO. See also
    http://bengross.com/smallunix.html
    http://lwn.net/Distributions/

    and the ever-popular
    <http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/Distributions/>

    Mark Blain, Sep 3, 2003
  5. Gordon Darling

    GamePlayer Guest

    JanC <> wrote in

    > GamePlayer <> schreef:
    >
    >> Does this (or any other floppyfw you know of) support the Speedtouch
    >> ADSL modems *and* vpn?

    > VPN-type applications require port forwarding to work from after a NAT
    > router.

    well, yes - there are rules available for iptables/ipchains to
    autoconfigure that - but what I meant was either freeswan in the standard
    kernel or a userland vpn module actually on the router (so that you can
    link two sites together transparently)

    GamePlayer, Sep 3, 2003