Simple XCOPY operation as part of VS7 Setup project?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Dot NET' started by Ryno Rijnsburger, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. I am busy packaging our product as a standard Setup project in VS.NET that
    uses
    a bunch of merge modules (basically, a merge module for every key
    infrastructure
    component in our system).

    Part of the installation needs to "dump" a bunch of files (third party
    product's project
    files) to the user's system. These files are transient in nature in that the
    user may choose
    to remove some of them over the lifetime of our application.

    The problem I have is: If I put these files in a merge module like
    everything else,
    and the user removes one of the files after installation, Windows Installer
    automatically
    pops up and wants the user to point it to the original setup project so it
    can "repair"
    the installation, since files it installed are no longer present.

    Does anyone know a way I can facilitate a simple XCOPY-like deployment of
    the set
    of files, but as part of the bigger setup project? I do not wish the Windows
    Installer
    to monitor when these specific files go missing, but checking the rest of
    the installation
    is OK.

    Regards
    Ryno

    Ryno Rijnsburger, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Ryno Rijnsburger

    AlexB Guest

    How about writing a simple app to copy the files and
    executing it from the install?

    AlexB, Nov 3, 2003

  3. That's one option - but it would mean distributing the files in "raw" format
    with the
    distribution media, or archiving it into cab files (from where I am not too
    sure
    how to extract to a specified folder automatically without user
    intervention)... it
    would also complicate the build process unnecessarily. I was hoping for some
    setting/twiddly bit thing somewhere that specifies that the installer should
    not
    care about the files after installation... ? If not, I suppose a manual
    xcopy as a
    custom action will have to do...

    Ryno Rijnsburger, Nov 4, 2003
  4. This can be done by setting conditions on the files that you do not want reinstalled.
    To do this select the files in the Merge Module Project that you do not wish to be reinstalled, set the Transitive property to be true (This will cause the
    condition to be reevaluted on the system during a reinstall). Then set the condition to be something that will fail on reinstall (for example a registry key you
    have created not existing).
    This will work if you have created the Merge Modules yourself as your post led me to believe, there is a way to accomplish this with pre packaged merge
    modules but it is slightly more complicated.

    Todd Derksen

    Todd Derksen [MSFT], Nov 4, 2003