Side Scroll Bar Pagination Problem

Reaction score
I first noticed the problem when I tried to print a block of 20 pages from the middle of a 400+ technical manual and nothing went to the printer. In the course of troubleshooting the issue, I first moved the side scroll bar button up a few pages and then moved in down a few pages. Seems that the document suddenly ended at page 225 and then began at page 1 and continued on from there. (The company I work for uses Word 2007.) I'm at a loss as to what might have occurred. Any ideas? Thanks.
Al

Reaction score
Printers have a certain amount of memory installed. Your problem may have something to do with the size of the document? The more expensive ones can be upgraded. That is all I can come up with at present Al

Reaction score
Printers have a certain amount of memory installed. Your problem may have something to do with the size of the document? The more expensive ones can be upgraded. That is all I can come up with at present Al

Thanks for the help, TriplexDread. The document size is definitely on the "large" size. Guess I'll be getting with the company's IT pro's come Monday.

Al

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What is the printer?

If it's a laser printer then I'll say you may have insufficient 'printer memory' to cope with an exceedingly large file, especially one that contains any graphics.

If, however, we're talking inkjet, then I'd be looking elsewhere for the 'problem' that may be causing the document not to print. Again, graphics or pictures will/can cause the 'buffer' to overflow.

Is this a PDF type document?

:user:

Reaction score
What is the printer?

If it's a laser printer then I'll say you may have insufficient 'printer memory' to cope with an exceedingly large file, especially one that contains any graphics.

If, however, we're talking inkjet, then I'd be looking elsewhere for the 'problem' that may be causing the document not to print. Again, graphics or pictures will/can cause the 'buffer' to overflow.

Is this a PDF type document?

The printer is an HP 5200 (series). It's a Word doc (using Office 2007) that has graphics and tables ... quite a lot, to be exact. Unfortunately, I don't know the file size of the top of my head. One thing about tech manuals is that they tend to be heavily populated with graphics. I believe your comment is spot-on. Thanks.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
OK. :)

It's really easy to add/replace the memory in that Laser Printer ...

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00658805

... print a configuration page to find out how much memory is installed in the printer before adding more memory, and, check how much total you can add. I suggest capping out the memory with the max it can use/instal.

you can find memory (ram) from the likes of Amazon ... looks like the default is 48MB, enough for the odd page or two, but not ideal for a 'document' of the like you want to print. 512MB looks like the max.

When/if buying a new printer, check what memory it has, and what is its max ... with my last Laser printer, I installed 1.5MB as I was providing, at the time, a service to print Students Dissertations & such. Was a long time ago. :)

Reaction score
OK. :)

It's really easy to add/replace the memory in that Laser Printer ...

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00658805

... print a configuration page to find out how much memory is installed in the printer before adding more memory, and, check how much total you can add. I suggest capping out the memory with the max it can use/instal.

you can find memory (ram) from the likes of Amazon ... looks like the default is 48MB, enough for the odd page or two, but not ideal for a 'document' of the like you want to print. 512MB looks like the max.

When/if buying a new printer, check what memory it has, and what is its max ... with my last Laser printer, I installed 1.5MB as I was providing, at the time, a service to print Students Dissertations & such. Was a long time ago. :)

Thanks much for the tech advice, muckshifter. Unfortunately, it's not my printer; rather, the company where I work. So the best I can do is pursue the matter with the IT Department folks.

Ask a Question