Show Hidden Files and Folders Problem

Reaction score
I'm using Windows XP Professional SP3 and I'm having trouble with the 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' under Folder Options. I suspect it's caused by a virus cause I've never used the 'Hide' option before on my files. Now, apparently I can't access 35 gigs worth of files on my external hard drive, simply because I can't find them. I'm using BitDefender Total Security 2009 as my antivirus software.

Here's what I've done so far to fix my problem. I've toggled with the registry in the 2 ways described below:

- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
Change 'Hidden' value to 1

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL
Change 'CheckedValue' key to 1

But no matter how many times I changed the values, they would always revert to the ones before.

Having said that, can anyone help please?

Reaction score
meiatenjou said:
I suspect it's caused by a virus

Have you tried using any sort of Virus scan to back up what you suspect. Changing registry values isn't going to solve a suspected virus problem. If the virus is set to change/modify registry value etc, it will keep doing so until you eliminate it...

Try these:

Trend Micro Housecall

Malwarebytes

Give those two a go and see if they pic up anything.

Ask a Question