Should I buy Trend Micro Titanium Antivirus+ 2012? For internet security?

RayLopez99

After careful consideration in another thread, I concluded that the only way I would get a virus (or malware) is through some Java script in a rogue website that I accidentally visit and click on some link therein.

So what I need is something like Trend Micro's product below.

Any others? Does McAfee, Norton, etc have this for the browser? Also I like Trend's 'cloud' reputation protection, which flags rogue sites (though I'm sure they change week to week if not day to day or even hour by hour).

RL

Trend Micro Titanium Antivirus+ 2012

Trend Micro Titanium Antivirus+ 2012 : Dangerous Page
Trend Micro aims to block malware before it ever arrives at your system. Itchecks each Web page the user visits and blocks access to any that host malware or are involved in fraud.

Trend Micro Titanium Antivirus+ 2012 : Phishing Site Blocked
The page that appears in place of a phishing site is just the same as what you'll see if you accidentally visit a site that hosts malware.

********
A malvertisement (malicious advertisement) is an advertisement on the Internet that is capable of infecting the viewer's computer with malware. According to the network security company Blue Coat Systems Inc., malvertising isthe current computer hijacking technique of choice for organized crime. Compromised computers can be used to create powerful botnets that can be usedto carry out identity theft, corporate espionage or other nefarious activity.

Malvertisements are commonly placed on a website in one of these two ways:

Legitimate advertisements: Initially, a criminal may place a series of malware-free advertisements on a trusted site that runs third-party ads and leave them alone for several months in order to establish a good reputation.

Later on, the criminal will inject a malicious payload into the ad, infecting as many computers as possible in a short amount of time before removing the malicious code or discontinuing the ad. This type of attack is often run on websites that run third-party ads. By infiltrating popular syndicatedonline ad services, thousands of sites can be infected at once. Unfortunately, websites that run third-party ads can do little to protect their visitors because syndicated ads are not under their direct control. In fact, thecompany from whom they receive the ads may use ads from other publishers, so the original source of the advertisements can be several parties removed..

Pop-up ads: A pop-up ad can deliver a malicious payload as soon as the ad appears on the viewer’s screen.

*******
At one time, users were victimized by malvertisements
pointing to malicious sites while browsing through a popular
webmail service provider’s site. In this attack, one particular
ad redirected victims to a vulnerability exploit-laden site.
Users who landed on the site the ad pointed to
unknowingly downloaded two Trojans disguised as
..PDF files onto their systems and executed a
malicious JavaScript.

After careful analysis, TrendLabs engineers found that the malicious .PDF files
exploited several vulnerabilities in Adobe Reader and Acrobat while the malicious
JavaScript exploited a bug in Microsoft Virtual Machine (VM). Successful
exploitation of the said bugs all led to the download of more malicious files onto
already-infected systems, putting affected users at even greater risk.

FromTheRafters

After careful consideration in another thread, I concluded that the only way
I would get a virus (or malware) is through some Java script in a rogue
website that I accidentally visit and click on some link therein.

***
I don't know why you reached that conclusion, but I'm okay with it.
Actually, there are several ways that you can yourself on an exploit site.
You mentioned some earlier Re DNS hijacking. SEO poisoning - stuff that
misdirects the user's browser "on the way" to a legitimate website. Then as
you just posted below your post there are ways to get misdirected while "on"
the legit site.

If this vector is your only concern, the best thing is to keep all of your
software updated with regard to vulnerability patches. It's not perfect of
course, so antimalware and antivirus attempt to become a stopgap measure.
It's very much user's choice at that point.
***

So what I need is something like Trend Micro's product below.

Any others? Does McAfee, Norton, etc have this for the browser?

***
I can't give you any real personal experience answer to this one, I believe
they all do have such in their full versions with some cutsie name or
another.
***

Also I like Trend's 'cloud' reputation protection, which flags rogue sites
(though I'm sure they change week to week if not day to day or even hour by
hour).

***
Yep, hour to hour in many cases. Some speculation exists with regard to
recent cyberwarfare prototype programs that malicious modules are being
included in otherwise unrelated active malware that just sit there doing
nothing but building up a good reputation so as to avoid such reputation
based detectors when it is eventually deployed.
***

RayLopez99

"RayLopez99" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]

Interesting, thanks. I will keep researching. You notice though that Windows .NET stuff like Silverlight don't have as many exploits as Adobe Flash (or so it seems). Maybe they are more secure, or maybe more popular.

RL

Dustin

After careful consideration in another thread, I concluded that the
only way I would get a virus (or malware) is through some Java script
in a rogue website that I accidentally visit and click on some link
therein.

That's not a terribly good conclusion. I'd recommend more study/research
is in order. A legitimate website could slip you a mickey as well.
Depending on the software addons you have, you could be vulnerable and the
AV might not even be aware something happened.

Well, that's as specifically helpful as I will be until you address me
with the respect I deserve.

--
I don't need no arms around me. And I dont need no drugs to calm me. I
have seen the writing on the wall. Don't think I need anything at all. No!

FromTheRafters

[...]
Interesting, thanks. I will keep researching. You notice though that
Windows .NET stuff like Silverlight don't have as many exploits as Adobe
Flash (or so it seems). Maybe they are more secure, or maybe more
popular.

***
Yes, it is a toss-up. One program or set of programs will receive more
attention from malware writers just because of their popularity, while
another set enjoys the illusion of robustness (think Windows and Mac for
instance).
***

RayLopez99

RayLopez99 <[email protected]> wrote in

> After careful consideration in another thread, I concluded that the
> only way I would get a virus (or malware) is through some Java script
> in a rogue website that I accidentally visit and click on some link
> therein.

That's not a terribly good conclusion. I'd recommend more study/research
is in order. A legitimate website could slip you a mickey as well.
Depending on the software addons you have, you could be vulnerable and the
AV might not even be aware something happened.

Well, that's as specifically helpful as I will be until you address me
with the respect I deserve.

You don't deserve any respect you old carouser. Besides methinks you're bluffing. "Addons" must mean Firefox extensions--perhaps that's a good point, but I only use Download Helper with Firefox, and I doubt it's a problem but I could be wrong. Anyway how to prevent an exploit of that? It's impossible to prevent an unknown. You are assuming stuff. It's like me saying:"well Windows could have an unknown exploit that some hacker can take advantage of". Sure that's always true. And that's why we employ the best minds in the business to find those exploits and patch them, and then watch for the exploits with antivirus software.

In short, you got nothing.

RL

Dustin

You don't deserve any respect you old carouser. Besides methinks
you're bluffing. "Addons" must mean Firefox extensions--perhaps
that's a good point, but I only use Download Helper with Firefox, and
I doubt it's a problem but I could be wrong. Anyway how to prevent
an exploit of that? It's impossible to prevent an unknown. You are
assuming stuff. It's like me saying: "well Windows could have an
unknown exploit that some hacker can take advantage of". Sure that's
always true. And that's why we employ the best minds in the business
to find those exploits and patch them, and then watch for the
exploits with antivirus software.

In short, you got nothing.

LOL! Alrighty then...

--
I don't need no arms around me. And I dont need no drugs to calm me. I
have seen the writing on the wall. Don't think I need anything at all.
No! Don't think I'll need anything at all. All in all it was all just
bricks in the wall. All in all you were all just bricks in the wall.
Pink Floyd Another Brick in the Wall part 3

RayLopez99

LOL! Alrighty then...

Yeah right. This is some sort of trap? Alrighty what? If I get infected...I'm going to call the police. You are evil, and the government should stop you.

RL

Dustin

From: RayLopez99 <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.anti-virus
Subject: Re: Should I buy Trend Micro Titanium Antivirus+ 2012? For
internet security? Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 20:10:39 -0700 (PDT)

Yeah right. This is some sort of trap? Alrighty what? If I get
infected...I'm going to call the police. You are evil, and the
government should stop you.

RL

I wish you'd make your mind up. You just said,

"You don't deserve any respect you old carouser. Besides methinks
you're bluffing. In short, you got nothing."

So what's with the paranoia you're displaying now? I'm harmless, just a
peon, a ****wit.. right?

Just out of curiosity.. say you did get infected, what would you tell
the police exactly?

How am I evil? "Besides methinks you're bluffing.". I don't think the
cops are going to do anything Ray... Your own words say I'm a peon.

Why should the government stop me? "Besides methinks you're bluffing."
What do you feel they should stop me from doing?

Oh wait.. did you google me? :) Could have saved alot of time and petty
insults if you had in the first place. You wouldn't be so quick to talk
down to me, and I wouldn't be such a dick towards you. Simple respect
was all I required.

You have no reason to fear me, Ray. I'm a peon, remember? you're own
words! You make millions; you can handle little old me. I'm nothing,
remember? nothing ray! Calm down. Nothing can't hurt you. right? Right
Ray?

From: RayLopez99 <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.anti-virus
[...]

Dex

After careful consideration in another thread, I concluded that the
only way I would get a virus (or malware) is through some Java script
in a rogue website that I accidentally visit and click on some link
therein.

So what I need is something like Trend Micro's product below.

Why buy when you can get the full version free for a year?

http://www.trendmicro.eu/brother/EN/GBP/

FromTheRafters

RayLopez99 said:
Yeah right. This is some sort of trap? Alrighty what? If I get
infected...I'm going to call the police. You are evil, and the government
should stop you.

They may need to borrow your illegal copy of Windows for forensic analysis,
Ray. I hope you don't mind. :blush:)

RayLopez99

They may need to borrow your illegal copy of Windows for forensic analysis,
Ray. I hope you don't mind. :blush:)

I only use my illegal Windows for my VM--that is my defense! If I am using a virtual machine my infringement is small, LOL.

RL

Dustin

I only use my illegal Windows for my VM--that is my defense! If I am
using a virtual machine my infringement is small, LOL.

RL

Since when? If that's the case, I'm transferring all my illegal shit to
the virtual drives. ;p