shortcuts ctrl x and ctrl c cuases powerpoint to shut down

I am using Powerpoint 2003. The problem is that when I use the shortcut keys ctrl x and ctrl c, powerpoint shuts down without giving any warning or saving the document. This does not happen with any of the other shortcut keys and I can use cut and copy from the menu. The problem doesn't occurr in a new document, then I can use the ctrl x and ctrl c to cut and copy. But if I save the document, close powerpoint and open the saved document, the problem arises and Powerpoint shuts down as soon as I use those short cut keys. Has anyone had this problem or know what I can do about it? I've tried using various templates or no template and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks
Jenny

Kathy J

Jenny:
The first thing I would try is to do a search for the PCB file on your
computer. This is the file where PowerPoint stores your settings. Rename it
to something with a different extension. Now, re-start PowerPoint. (Any
customization you have done to the PowerPoint setup will need to be re-set
up after you do the file rename.) Report back if it helps or not.

--
Kathryn Jacobs, Microsoft MVP PowerPoint and OneNote
Get PowerPoint answers at http://www.powerpointanswers.com

I believe life is meant to be lived. But:
if we live without making a difference, it makes no difference that we lived

Jenny Tollet said:
I am using Powerpoint 2003. The problem is that when I use the shortcut
keys ctrl x and ctrl c, powerpoint shuts down without giving any warning or
saving the document. This does not happen with any of the other shortcut
keys and I can use cut and copy from the menu. The problem doesn't occurr
in a new document, then I can use the ctrl x and ctrl c to cut and copy. But
if I save the document, close powerpoint and open the saved document, the
problem arises and Powerpoint shuts down as soon as I use those short cut
keys. Has anyone had this problem or know what I can do about it? I've tried
using various templates or no template and it doesn't seem to make any
difference.

Kathy:
I can't find a file called PCB on my computer, I've searched everywhere for anything with PCB in the name. I do not know where the file is where PowerPoint stores my settings or how to find it. Do you think it might be called something else and how can I find it?

Jenny

Glen Millar

Jenny,

Click anywhere on the desktop. Hit <F3>. that should bring up search. Go for
all files and folders, adn type in "*.pcb" without the inverted commas. That
should smoke the little blighter out.

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Please tell us your ppt version, and get back to us here
Remove spaces from signature
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

Jenny Tollet said:
Kathy:
I can't find a file called PCB on my computer, I've searched everywhere
for anything with PCB in the name. I do not know where the file is where
PowerPoint stores my settings or how to find it. Do you think it might be
called something else and how can I find it?

Sonia

It's probably at C:\Documents and Settings\Jenny\Application
Data\Microsoft\PowerPoint\PPT11.pcb (assuming that your identity on the
system is Jenny).
--
Sonia, MS PowerPoint MVP Team
Autorun CD software, templates, and tutorials

Jenny Tollet said:
Kathy:
I can't find a file called PCB on my computer, I've searched everywhere
for anything with PCB in the name. I do not know where the file is where
PowerPoint stores my settings or how to find it. Do you think it might be
called something else and how can I find it?

Glen + Sonia,
I have tried that search and all sorts of others, cannot find a single file with that extension anywhere. Maybe that's my problem, that I haven't got it? Is it possible to find if it's called something else? just from the nature of the file?

Jenny

Glen Millar

Hi,

It don't make sense. Not that I don't believe you, but it don't make sense.

What version of windows do you have, and could PowerPoint be installed on a
network?

Anyway, first, go to the Help menu and hit Detect and Repair. I reckon if
Detect and Repair is worth its salt it should find the pcb file missing and
create one. 'Cause if it doesn't exist it would be no wonder you are having
troubles!

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Please tell us your ppt version, and get back to us here
Remove spaces from signature
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

Jenny Tollet said:
Glen + Sonia,
I have tried that search and all sorts of others, cannot find a single
file with that extension anywhere. Maybe that's my problem, that I haven't
got it? Is it possible to find if it's called something else? just from the
nature of the file?

Hi Glen,

Thanks for your effort to help me. I do admit that the problem is very weird. I'm running PowerPoint 2003 on windows XP. The computer is connected to a network but PowerPoint is not on the network since I can use it without being connected to it. I cannot find a file with the extension PCB. I did find one file called POWERPOI and when I move the cursor over it, it says it's a microsoft office settings file. This file is in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11 . I can't find any files that look like it might be the right file in "Documents and Settings".

I have tried Detect and Repair and it didn't work. Nothing else is wrong with the settings, only this weird problem. The shortcut key do work when a new document is opened. It's only once it is saved and then reopened that they don't work.

It looks like I must just live with it or perhaps reinstall office completely.

Jenny

Glen Millar

Hi,

Well, I'm clutching at straws, but I wonder if it is a hidden file? Maybe go
into Windows Explorer, select Tools| Folder Options| View| Hidden Folders or
Files and see if it is enabled to view all file types.

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Featured Presenter, PowerPoint Live 2004
October 10-13, San Diego CA
http://www.powerpointlive.com

Jenny Tollet said:
Hi Glen,

Thanks for your effort to help me. I do admit that the problem is very
weird. I'm running PowerPoint 2003 on windows XP. The computer is connected
to a network but PowerPoint is not on the network since I can use it without
being connected to it. I cannot find a file with the extension PCB. I did
find one file called POWERPOI and when I move the cursor over it, it says
it's a microsoft office settings file. This file is in C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11 . I can't find any files that look like it
might be the right file in "Documents and Settings".
I have tried Detect and Repair and it didn't work. Nothing else is wrong
with the settings, only this weird problem. The shortcut key do work when a
new document is opened. It's only once it is saved and then reopened that
they don't work.

I found it! thank you so much, it was hidden. Now back to the real problem. Kathy suggested that I change it to a different name with a different extension. What name and extension should I change it to and how will this solve the problem? I'm a bit worried about doing it since it might mess up all the settings and make PowerPoint unusable. Also, I found two files with the extension PCB. One under my user name and one under a user name of another perons who used the computer in the past. Do I need to change both or just my own? Sorry for being such a pain.

Jenny

Michael Koerner

Just rename it form .pcb to .old, and say yes to the popup message that normally
appears when changing file extensions

--
<>Please post all follow-up questions/replies to the newsgroup<>
<><>Email unless specifically requested will not be opened<><>

I found it! thank you so much, it was hidden. Now back to the real problem.
Kathy suggested that I change it to a different name with a different extension.
What name and extension should I change it to and how will this solve the
problem? I'm a bit worried about doing it since it might mess up all the
settings and make PowerPoint unusable. Also, I found two files with the
extension PCB. One under my user name and one under a user name of another
perons who used the computer in the past. Do I need to change both or just my
own? Sorry for being such a pain.

Jenny

Sonia

You aren't going to mess up anything. PowerPoint will recreate the file, so
either delete or rename the one under your ID.

Jenny Tollet said:
I found it! thank you so much, it was hidden. Now back to the real
problem. Kathy suggested that I change it to a different name with a
different extension. What name and extension should I change it to and how
will this solve the problem? I'm a bit worried about doing it since it might
mess up all the settings and make PowerPoint unusable. Also, I found two
files with the extension PCB. One under my user name and one under a user
name of another perons who used the computer in the past. Do I need to
change both or just my own? Sorry for being such a pain.

Steve Rindsberg

I found it! thank you so much, it was hidden. Now back to the real problem. Kathy
suggested that I change it to a different name with a different extension. What name
and extension should I change it to and how will this solve the problem? I'm a bit
worried about doing it since it might mess up all the settings and make PowerPoint
unusable. Also, I found two files with the extension PCB. One under my user name and
one under a user name of another perons who used the computer in the past. Do I need
to change both or just my own? Sorry for being such a pain.

No pain at all.

And no need to worry. The PCB file stores the customizations you've made to
PowerPoint (changes to toolbars, toolbar locations, menus and so forth). If you
don't mind losing those, it's completely safe to delete the .PCB file. Nothing
crucial to PPT lives inside them and PPT will re-create the PCB for you the next
time you customize anything.

If the person who used the computer in the past no longer uses it, then you can
delete their .PCB file if you like or just leave it there. Unless they log onto the
computer, or you log on as them, PPT won't use the file.

--
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com

Thank you, it worked! The problem was a PowerPoint add-in. I have the new SHARP laptop with the 3D screen (to watch 3D images without the glasses). The errant plug in was the TriDefPhoto which enables PowerPoint presentations in 3D. I have now removed the add-in from PowerPoints plug in folder and everything works as it should. So a warning to all of you out there that might be using PowerPoint for 3D presentations, the add in causes problems.

Thanks again

Jenny

Echo S said:
In addition to the suggestion to rename/delete your *.PCB file and run Detect and Repair, I would also try the following:

1. In PPT go to Help/Check for Updates. Install the critical patch for Office/PPT 2003.

If that doesn't work, then

2. Do a search for all PPA files (*.PPA). Rename them to *.PPO. See if PPT behaves better then. If so, you can rename the PPO files back to PPA one at a time until you can isolate the problem file. (PPA files are PowerPoint Add-Ins. You should be fine renaming them.)

3. Start PPT in Safe Mode. (I thought you could do this by holding down the CTRL button when you open PPT from your list of programs on the Start Menu, and I double-checked the Help file to make sure, and it confirms that you hold CTRL while starting the program. But that doesn't seem to work here. So if that doesn't work for you, either, then try searching your harddrive for powerpnt.exe and holding down the CTRL button when you double-click powerpnt.exe to open PPT.) Do the CTRL+X and CTRL+C things work then?

4. I'm also wondering if this is hardware-related. Perhaps a sticky key or loose connection on your keyboard. Or maybe a bad RAM chip in your computer? Often these odd reboots can be linked to things like that.

5. Very long shot, this one, but see if changing hardware acceleration helps at all.
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00129.htm for instrux.

6. Do you have Norton AntiVirus, by any chance? You might try disabling the Office plug-in. http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00387.htm

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

Jenny Tollet said:
I am using Powerpoint 2003. The problem is that when I use the shortcut keys ctrl x and ctrl c, powerpoint shuts down without giving any warning or saving the document. This does not happen with any of the other shortcut keys and I can use cut and copy from the menu. The problem doesn't occurr in a new document, then I can use the ctrl x and ctrl c to cut and copy. But if I save the document, close powerpoint and open the saved document, the problem arises and Powerpoint shuts down as soon as I use those short cut keys. Has anyone had this problem or know what I can do about it? I've tried using various templates or no template and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks
Jenny

Glen Millar

Hi,

Viewing PowerPoint in 3d? Drool <g>!

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Please tell us your ppt version, and get back to us here
Remove spaces from signature
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

Jenny Tollet said:
Thank you, it worked! The problem was a PowerPoint add-in. I have the new
SHARP laptop with the 3D screen (to watch 3D images without the glasses).
The errant plug in was the TriDefPhoto which enables PowerPoint
presentations in 3D. I have now removed the add-in from PowerPoints plug in
folder and everything works as it should. So a warning to all of you out
there that might be using PowerPoint for 3D presentations, the add in causes
problems.
Thanks again

Jenny
PPT behaves better then. If so, you can rename the PPO files back to PPA one
at a time until you can isolate the problem file. (PPA files are PowerPoint
Add-Ins. You should be fine renaming them.)the CTRL button when you open PPT from your list of programs on the Start
Menu, and I double-checked the Help file to make sure, and it confirms that
you hold CTRL while starting the program. But that doesn't seem to work
here. So if that doesn't work for you, either, then try searching your
harddrive for powerpnt.exe and holding down the CTRL button when you
double-click powerpnt.exe to open PPT.) Do the CTRL+X and CTRL+C things work
then?or loose connection on your keyboard. Or maybe a bad RAM chip in your