    Jeff
    (we don't need no stinkin arrows)
    QL convert

    Jeff, Dec 27, 2006

  2. Jeff

    Max Guest

    Max, Dec 27, 2006

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    That's the ticket Max
    -frameworks
    -thx

    woohoo

    Jeff

    Jeff, Dec 27, 2006
  4. Jeff

    Chad Harris Guest

    Tweak UI is one app but I don't think there is one for Vista yet.

    How's everything at duh.edu?

    Registry Settings
    System Key:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
    Shell Icons]
    Value Name: 29
    Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
    Value Data: Icon Filename

    To Change the Icon:
    Open the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Explorer\Shell Icons] and create a new string value, or modify the existing
    value, called '29'. Set it to equal the filename, including path, for the
    icon you want to use for the shortcut arrow. By setting this to a blank icon
    it has a similar effect to the removal method above, without the side
    effects.

    Restart Windows for the changes to take effect.

    CH

    Chad Harris, Dec 27, 2006
  5. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Still on vaca, but tying up loose ends,

    Can't get Dr. OMG to track down a good WMP icon that'll play nice.
    Seems he's out on sabbatical-
    dang tenure

    Jeff, Dec 27, 2006
  6. There is a knock off called TweakVI. It runs but whether it is baked enough
    to use is something I don't know. I haven't been gutsy enough to do more
    than download it and see if it at least runs.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 27, 2006
  7. Jeff

    Chad Harris Guest

    If you do a little searchin' you can download a WMP icon you like. I told
    you when I tried to sub from my favicon stash WMP didn't open until I
    rebooted. There could have been a lot of reasons. I didn't bother to see if
    Event Viewer had anything that would have shed light.

    CH

    Chad Harris, Dec 28, 2006
  8. Jeff

    Chad Harris Guest

    I gave it a workout. It seems to work fine; I have the full version of
    Tweak XP. It wants you to use a 1024X 768 low display resolution to work
    best for whatever reason.

    CH

    Chad Harris, Dec 28, 2006
  9. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Hmm
    yup,
    grabbed icons-lots of them, just to see which I liked, but

    they'll work for awhile,then if I install something-even something
    completely different(lol), and reboot,
    the imported icon goes funky on me and I get that generic weird no icon/icon

    Now; for something completely different-lol

    Happy New Year(soon)

    Jeff

    Jeff, Dec 28, 2006
  10. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    This works great-from the original topic o' this thread:

    Jeff, Dec 28, 2006
  11. Jeff

    Tim Bostonia Guest

    In my experience, neither of these pieces of software works properly...
    TweakVI has adware... on install my anti-virus generated this error:

    2/28/2006 7:26:38 PM SYSTEM 2028 Sign of "Win32:Adloader-IC [Trj]" has been
    found in "C:\Program Files\TweakVI\TweakVI.exe" file.

    The frameworkx app leaves the icons as a dark square when you reboot or
    log-off/on...

    Tim Bostonia, Dec 29, 2006
  12. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Hmm,

    Not here it doesn't.
    Frameworkx works fine in Vista RTM 32bit for me.
    Vista does need Java 6 JRE to be installed,
    for lots off apps to render properly though.

    Jeff
    (workin fine-with no stinkin arrows-lol)

    Jeff, Dec 29, 2006
  13. Jeff

    Spooky Guest

    yep, that app works great...or you could do this reg entery:

    ; this entry gets rid of shortcut arrows and still lets links work.
    ;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell
    Icons]
    ;"29"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\shell32.dll,52"

    see this post:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=57697&view=findpost&p=604580

    Spooky, Dec 29, 2006