Shock Mounting a Hard Disk

Dave

Just bought an external USB case and the HD mounts straight to the
case. This doesn't thrill me as I'm looking for some ruggedness. I did
get the 5.25" case so that there would be plenty of room inside. Does
anyone sell a anti-shock mounting kit for a 3.5" HD ? I guess I can
build my own scheme fairly easily with a bit of sheet metal and some
rubber grommets... Thanks.

Alien Zord

Dave said:
Just bought an external USB case and the HD mounts straight to the
case. This doesn't thrill me as I'm looking for some ruggedness. I did
get the 5.25" case so that there would be plenty of room inside. Does
anyone sell a anti-shock mounting kit for a 3.5" HD ? I guess I can
build my own scheme fairly easily with a bit of sheet metal and some
rubber grommets... Thanks.
http://www.ultim8pc.co.uk/index.asp?section=products&idd=5
Bottom of page.

Toshi1873

Just bought an external USB case and the HD mounts straight to the
case. This doesn't thrill me as I'm looking for some ruggedness. I did
get the 5.25" case so that there would be plenty of room inside. Does
anyone sell a anti-shock mounting kit for a 3.5" HD ? I guess I can
build my own scheme fairly easily with a bit of sheet metal and some
rubber grommets... Thanks.

I've used rubber washers from the local hardware
store... 5/32" IIRC (3/16" is too big with it's inside
diamter).

Other folks cut 3/16" rubber hose and use longer bolts.

Dave

Toshi1873 said:
I've used rubber washers from the local hardware
store... 5/32" IIRC (3/16" is too big with it's inside
diamter).

Other folks cut 3/16" rubber hose and use longer bolts.

Yes it seems I might as well attach two plates, one to the chassis and
one to the drive, and then make my own shock mount scheme between
them.

larrymoencurly

Does anyone sell a anti-shock mounting kit for a 3.5" HD ?
I guess I can build my own scheme fairly easily with a bit
of sheet metal and some rubber grommets... Thanks.

Hardware stores, like Ace and True Value, sell rubber shock
mount grommets that are probably used for air conditioner and
blower motors, and unlike regular grommets they're designed so
any nuts or bolts will stay tight even without lock nuts.
because they have cylindrical metal inserts in their holes.

Noozer

larrymoencurly said:
(e-mail address removed) (Dave) wrote in message

If this chassis has bottom mounting holes for the HDD you can just use
longer screws and put the rubber grommets between the chassis and drive.
(Assuming enough headroom for the extra height)

Dave

Noozer said:
If this chassis has bottom mounting holes for the HDD you can just use
longer screws and put the rubber grommets between the chassis and drive.
(Assuming enough headroom for the extra height)

If there was clearance for the screw heads to bounce around this would
be the simplest solution -- although I don't know what the thread of
the screws is or if longer ones can be found.

kony

If there was clearance for the screw heads to bounce around this would
be the simplest solution -- although I don't know what the thread of
the screws is or if longer ones can be found.

I've never tried the following "silencer" but it may be adequate. If all
else fails then instead of shock dampening HDD mounts, put the entire
external case in a 2nd enclosuer with foam rubber around it, of course
leaving air I/O passageway.

kony

I've never tried the following "silencer" but it may be adequate. If all
else fails then instead of shock dampening HDD mounts, put the entire
external case in a 2nd enclosuer with foam rubber around it, of course
leaving air I/O passageway.

Umm, by "following", i was implying that you were to read my mind and go
here:

http://www.svc.com/hddsil-22.html

Toshi1873

galt_ said:
If there was clearance for the screw heads to bounce around this would
be the simplest solution -- although I don't know what the thread of
the screws is or if longer ones can be found.

Mini pan phillips machine screws
6-32 x 3/8" (or a bit longer if you want)