    turn off Windows Defender and also turn off the UAC. That is obviously an
    incredibly bad answer to force me to disable security to get stuff to run
    which I deliberatly installed and configured on my machine.

    Mike Hotek, Dec 10, 2007

  2. Mike Hotek

    Mike Hotek Guest

    Before you ask, YES, I have gone into Options and added them to the list to
    NOT scan. I've added the files as well as the entire directory the files are
    contained within. I've changed the owner of the directory and every single
    object in it to the service account that I am using. I can't think of any
    other way possible that I can give this more permissions than it already has.

    Mike Hotek, Dec 10, 2007

  3. Your problems are not with Windows Defender but with UAC. It is easily
    possible to turn UAC off, but I don't have the steps handy here--I've never
    done it on any of of the 9
    Vista systems I admin regularly. It's in the help.

    Bill Sanderson, Dec 10, 2007
  4. Mike Hotek

    spm Guest

    None of what you report has anything to do with Windows Defender. The
    problem you are facing is that the programs you are 'attempting to run
    as a Windows service' are probably not compatible with Vista. The
    security model in Vista has changed, and this affects the ability of
    programs to run with admin credentials, unless they are built to
    cooperate properly with UAC. Turning UAC is off is an option, but not a
    sensible one. Better you get back to the authors of the programs
    installed to obtain Vista-compatible updates.

    It is no matter that you, as an administrator, configured these
    programs - they still have to behave properly. Also, running as an
    administrator does not mean the same as it did in Win 2000 and XP. You,
    and the programs you run, do not get administrator privileges by
    default - when you (or a program you run) take an action which requires
    administrator privileges, you have to confirm your assent to them, each
    time. If the programs you run as services are properly built and
    installed (as services) for Vista, they won't be blocked each time, and
    you won't need to answer any UAC prompts.

    --
    Regards,
    Steve.

    spm, Dec 10, 2007
  5. Mike Hotek

    Mike Hotek Guest

    I know how to turn it off. And as soon as it is turned off the security
    center does nothing but scream that you are completely exposed. That has the
    effect of causing me to ignore it such that when an actual issue that I need
    to take care of is ignored and doesn't get fixed. So, I guess the other
    question is there a way to shut down the UAC permanently without having
    Windows screaming that the sky is falling?

    I would really like to upgrade to Vista, but this idiotic UAC thing is
    probably going to have me rip it out and "upgrade" back to XP Pro, unless I
    can shut down the UAC which interferes with just about everything that I do
    while not having the security center screaming that my system is wide open.

    Mike Hotek, Dec 10, 2007
  6. Mike Hotek

    Robinb Guest

    you can turn off UAC with a program called TweakUAC
    http://www.tweak-uac.com/what-is-tweak-uac/

    I use it because I have a program that WD and vista screams when it comes up
    on startup and won't allow it but i know it is not spyware because I wrote
    it with a friend of mine and it has no spyware nor viruses/trojans in it and
    it is so annoying when WD and vista screams when it startsup.

    So someone recommended this tweakuc program and to check off "Use in silent
    mode"
    This option does not turn off UAC; instead, it only makes UAC to operate in
    the quiet mode. In the quiet mode, UAC does not display the elevation
    prompts for the administrators. That is, when you attempt to do an
    administrative task, you will be allowed to proceed automatically, without
    prompting you to confirm the operation. All other features of UAC would
    still be enabled: the programs will run with the standard user permissions
    by default, and the standard users will still see the elevation prompts (the
    quiet mode applies to the administrator accounts only).

    and

    Vista will start displaying a warning message in its taskbar. You can turn
    that message off, though: double-click on the shield icon in the taskbar to
    open Windows Security Center. Then click on the "Change the way Security
    Center alerts me" link, in the left panel. Finally, choose one of the "Don't
    notify me" options.

    robin

    Robinb, Dec 10, 2007
  7. Mike Hotek

    Mr Cat Guest

    Bill Sanderson, spm and Robinb are correct. Here are some articles that
    hopefully may clarify the issue:
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...8514-4c9e-ac08-4c21f5c6c2d91033.mspx?mfr=true
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...2b2f-422c-b70e-b18ff918c2811033.mspx?mfr=true
    http://www.tweak-uac.com/what-is-uac/

    Mr Cat, Dec 10, 2007
  8. This is a relatively unusual experience. I've got 6 machines running Vista
    that I admin, and I've had very little complaint from the users about UAC.
    However, they are average office users, and I'm a network admin.

    I see what you mean about the Security Center. You can stop it yelling at
    you, but you can't make the red shield go away unless you turn it off
    completely, and in either case you are masking what could be important
    alerts.

    Can you give (again) some examples of things that you do that it yells at
    you about?

    Bill Sanderson, Dec 11, 2007
  9. Mike Hotek

    Mike Hotek Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions. I tried TweakUAC and it still didn't get what I
    wanted. So, I simply took the route of getting rid of the problem. Namely,
    shutting off this stupid, idiotic UAC hunk of junk that is interfering with
    applications starting up as services. (Yes, they HAVE been written
    specifically for Vista compatibility, but unless they are certified, UAC will
    still block them.) So, yeah, I disabled one of the most interfering pieces
    of an OS that I've ever come across. It's pretty stupid when the UAC that
    Microsoft put into Vista winds up blocking Microsoft products from running as
    services.

    Mike Hotek, Dec 11, 2007
  10. Mike Hotek

    Mr Cat Guest

    I probably should have also referenced this Microsoft document:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-A648-49AF-BC5E-A2EEBB74C16B&displaylang=en
    I understand why you want to turn UAC off. Good luck.

    Mr Cat, Dec 11, 2007
  11. Mike Hotek

    spm Guest

    Mike Hotek wrote:

    > It's pretty stupid when the UAC that
    > Microsoft put into Vista winds up blocking Microsoft products from
    > running as services.

    What, exactly, are those Microsoft products?

    --
    Regards,
    Steve.

    spm, Dec 11, 2007