shift key held down too long

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Discussion' started by emily, Apr 15, 2004.

  1. emily

    emily Guest

    We have a problem with Excel on our laptops at work.
    Holding down the SHIFT key alone for more than 8 seconds puts th
    keyboard in a different mode. The keys no longer function as the
    should. The only way out is to close the file without saving an
    rebooting.
    How can I prevent this? Is there a way to turn off this option o
    setting the timeframe for longer than 8 seconds? How can I "undo" thi
    function if it is accidentally activated?
    Please help!
    Thanks,
    Emily Nghiem<br>

    NOTE: Since this problem is so baffling and troublesome, why is no
    posted anywhere on any of the Excel help sites

    emily, Apr 15, 2004

  2. emily

    Peo Sjoblom Guest

    What do you mean by "The keys no longer function as they should"?
    --

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

    Peo Sjoblom, Apr 15, 2004

  3. This is a Windows setting, not an Excel setting:

    From the Start button in the Windows Taskbar, choose Control Panel
    Double-click Accessibility Options
    On the Keyboard tab, click the Settings buttons, and change the options
    On the General tab, change the reset and notification options

    emily < wrote:
    > We have a problem with Excel on our laptops at work.
    > Holding down the SHIFT key alone for more than 8 seconds puts the
    > keyboard in a different mode. The keys no longer function as they
    > should. The only way out is to close the file without saving and
    > rebooting.
    > How can I prevent this? Is there a way to turn off this option or
    > setting the timeframe for longer than 8 seconds? How can I "undo" this
    > function if it is accidentally activated?
    > Please help!
    > Thanks,
    > Emily Nghiem<br>

    > NOTE: Since this problem is so baffling and troublesome, why is not
    > posted anywhere on any of the Excel help sites?

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

    Debra Dalgleish, Apr 15, 2004