    loaded on this pc, but they are quite slow due to the processing power of
    the machine. Is there a way that I can share processing power across the
    network to author my videos on my laptop?

    Anna, Oct 11, 2004

  2. Anna

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Set up one of your machines as a server, with all files and
    programs and just use your other computers as client work
    stations. This would probably require the purchase of new
    software.
    Or buy a better laptop, designed for such uses, a desktop
    replacement with a fast CPU, a ton of RAM (1 GB) and a big
    hard drive.

    If you have not maximized the RAM on your present laptop,
    add to the maximum it will support.

    Jim Macklin, Oct 11, 2004

  3. Anna

    Anna Guest

    Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought I would have to do.

    Anna, Oct 11, 2004
  4. Anna

    Joe Guest

    Probably more than you're willing to take on but I suppose you could setup
    your computers in a Beowulf Cluster. However, you would have to install
    Linux and not use the computers for anything else. Perhaps later if you get
    really big and super computing is worth your while you can look into setting
    up a Beowulf Cluster. The Beowulf homepage is at http://www.beowulf.org/

    Joe

    Joe, Oct 11, 2004
  5. Anna

    Don Taylor Guest

    "Anna" <> writes:
    >Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought I would have to do.

    Just one idea you might consider before buying something new,
    and all the grief that adding more software a problem often does:

    Since all your machines are running XP Pro, you might peek at
    Help and Support and search for "remote desktop."

    Remote Desktop was probably thought of as a way for an admin
    to reach into a user's machine and fix something, by giving you
    a little window on one machine to control another. But if you
    read the description "backwards" you might see whether it could
    let you grab control of one machine to do serious crunching
    while you do other work on your laptop. And when the video
    crunching is done you could reach over and grab the results.

    I hope this might help
    Please let me know if it works, then I might try it.
    Thanks

    Don Taylor, Oct 11, 2004
  6. Anna

    Anna Guest