Share Connections and share copying still REALLY SLOW

frankm

If anyone has any ideas - please let me know.

Already did the patch...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931770/en-us
Still very very very + 100 slow.
It takes 3+ minutes (if it doesn't stop) to connect to a network share.
It takes 3+ to try to open the next directory level (if it doesn't stop).
It takes 3+ minutes to , etc etc etc (if it doesn't stop).
It take elevndy million minutes to copy anything (if it doesn't stop), 1kb,
1gb anything!!!

Machine is a Compaq V2000us series notebook, 100mb NIC, fully patched.
It is only the Vista machine with this problem. Anything else on the network
does not have this problem.
The share is on a Windows 2003 server, fully patched. Removed or turned off
anything not necessary or that could cause this.
In a workgroup. Turned on NW discovery, turned off VERY annoyong "allow or
deny" crap.
Turned off auto defrag (I think it is crime what they did to it) and do
defrags manually - cmd line.
Have virus scan, 2 different anti-malware and anti-spy software pkgs, no
kernel hooks.
Wired connection is slightly less bad than wireless (802.11G, I am almost
always 54Mb).
Running through a Cisco 2950 on the same vlan and network (not routed).
Server NIC's and switchport are both 1Gb. Wired switchports; 100Mb.
Yes this is my house.

This is absolutely insane and basically unsable.
Am considering XP, Ubuntu, Mandriva, 3.11 anything has got to be better than
this.

In all honesty; I have had the RTM since November (technet plus) and it
isn't all that bad.
Have had a couple of program compatibility issues - but installed vmware and
ran xp in that).
I need to become familiar with Vista as I will soon need to support it, so
I'll probably stick it in vmware.

But this one is a REAL show stopper for my day to day system.

Thanks in advance for any insights - Frankm

Mike Brannigan

frankm said:
[...]

Are you sure you have disabled all the IP 6 stacks on the network
connections (it is on by default on Vista)?
[/QUOTE]

frankm

Have not done that..
That will be the next thing I will do, thanks.

Mike Brannigan said:
Are you sure you have disabled all the IP 6 stacks on the network
connections (it is on by default on Vista)?
[/QUOTE]

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Frank,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, we cannot reproduce your issue on my test machine. At this
moment, I'd like to suggest you refer to the following steps that might
address this similar issue:

Step1
===========
Maybe turning off auto-tuning on the Vista client may help. Please run the
following commands:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled and reboot

Related Articles:
934430: Network connectivity may fail when you try to use Windows Vista
behind a firewall device
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430/en-us

555912: Windows 2003 service pack 2 known issues on Small Business Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555912/en-us

Step2
===========
If the problem persists, please test the issue in Safe Mode with Network to
see if the issue still occurs in this mode.
Start your computer in safe mode
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a
-5c58eec904a11033.mspx>

In addition, please let us know the following information:
1. When did the issue start happening?
2. Does the issue only occur when you copy files from server to Vista?

Please try the steps above and provide us with the results.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "frankm" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Share Connections and share copying still REALLY SLOW
| Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:04:04 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Have not done that..
| That will be the next thing I will do, thanks.

| >> Already did the patch...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931770/en-us
| >> Still very very very + 100 slow.
| >> It takes 3+ minutes (if it doesn't stop) to connect to a network share.
| >> It takes 3+ to try to open the next directory level (if it doesn't
stop).
| >> It takes 3+ minutes to , etc etc etc (if it doesn't stop).
| >> It take elevndy million minutes to copy anything (if it doesn't
stop),
| >> 1kb, 1gb anything!!!
| >>
| >> Machine is a Compaq V2000us series notebook, 100mb NIC, fully patched.
| >> It is only the Vista machine with this problem. Anything else on the
| >> network does not have this problem.
| >> The share is on a Windows 2003 server, fully patched. Removed or
turned
| >> off anything not necessary or that could cause this.
| >> In a workgroup. Turned on NW discovery, turned off VERY annoyong
"allow
| >> or deny" crap.
| >> Turned off auto defrag (I think it is crime what they did to it) and
do
| >> defrags manually - cmd line.
| >> Have virus scan, 2 different anti-malware and anti-spy software pkgs,
no
| >> kernel hooks.
| >> Wired connection is slightly less bad than wireless (802.11G, I am
almost
| >> always 54Mb).
| >> Running through a Cisco 2950 on the same vlan and network (not routed).
| >> Server NIC's and switchport are both 1Gb. Wired switchports; 100Mb.
| >> Yes this is my house.
| >>
| >> This is absolutely insane and basically unsable.
| >> Am considering XP, Ubuntu, Mandriva, 3.11 anything has got to be
better
| >> than this.
| >>
| >> In all honesty; I have had the RTM since November (technet plus) and
it
| >> isn't all that bad.
| >> Have had a couple of program compatibility issues - but installed
vmware
| >> and ran xp in that).
| >> I need to become familiar with Vista as I will soon need to support
it,
| >> so I'll probably stick it in vmware.
| >>
| >> But this one is a REAL show stopper for my day to day system.
| >>
| >> Thanks in advance for any insights - Frankm
| >>

| > Are you sure you have disabled all the IP 6 stacks on the network
| > connections (it is on by default on Vista)?
| >
| > --
| >
| > Mike Brannigan

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Frank,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 02:59:02 GMT
| Subject: Re: Share Connections and share copying still REALLY SLOW
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hello Frank,
|
| Thank you for using newsgroup!
|
| From your post, we cannot reproduce your issue on my test machine. At
this
| moment, I'd like to suggest you refer to the following steps that might
| address this similar issue:
|
| Step1
| ===========
| Maybe turning off auto-tuning on the Vista client may help. Please run
the
| following commands:
|
| netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
| netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled and reboot
|
| Related Articles:
| 934430: Network connectivity may fail when you try to use Windows Vista
| behind a firewall device
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430/en-us
|
| 555912: Windows 2003 service pack 2 known issues on Small Business Server
| 2003
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555912/en-us
|
| Step2
| ===========
| If the problem persists, please test the issue in Safe Mode with Network
| see if the issue still occurs in this mode.
| Start your computer in safe mode

<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a
| -5c58eec904a11033.mspx>
|
| In addition, please let us know the following information:
| 1. When did the issue start happening?
| 2. Does the issue only occur when you copy files from server to Vista?
|
| Please try the steps above and provide us with the results.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "frankm" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Share Connections and share copying still REALLY SLOW
| | Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:04:04 -0500
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| |
| | Have not done that..
| | That will be the next thing I will do, thanks.
| |

| stop).
| stop),

| turned
| "allow
| do
| no
| almost

| better

| it
| vmware
| it,

| | > Are you sure you have disabled all the IP 6 stacks on the network
| | > connections (it is on by default on Vista)?
| | >
| | > --
| | >
| | > Mike Brannigan

| |
| |