Windows XP Setup encountered an error while trying to set system security. (resolved)

Reaction score
While performing a repair of an existing Windows XP Professional SP2 installation,

I am getting a BSOD with error: 0x0___0A while Setup is installing drivers via the restarted XP Setup GUI.

When I look at the setupact.log, The final lines are:

D:\i386\sseriff.fo_ was copied to C:\WINDOWS\fonts\sseriff.fon.
The external program RUNDLL32 shell32,Control_RunDLL intl.cpl,,/f:"C:\WINDOWS\system32\$winnt$.inf" /s:"D:\I386" returned exit code 0.

NetSetup: SetupMode: 0x1, ProductType: 0x0, OperationFlags: 0x800c
Setup encountered an error while trying to set system security.

An extended error has occurred.

C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\sp2.cab was copied to C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\intelppm.sys.
C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\sp2.cab was copied to C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\intelppm.sys.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Problem Solved!

BSOD during Setup Repair was caused by Virtual Box driver: VBoxNetFlt.sys :mad:.

Removing VirtualBox and manually cleaning up the 100+ garbage entries it left behind in the Registry, enabled the Setup to complete successfully :). But it was the aforementioned file that was at cause.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well done, glad you got that sorted & thanks for posting the solution.

:user:

Ask a Question