setting up a wireless network

Discussion in 'Windows XP Basics' started by Dan Galfano, May 5, 2004.

  1. Dan Galfano

    Dan Galfano Guest

    Hi,

    I just got my new laptop an eMachine m6809. It comes with an integrated
    wirless g card. I just got a Microsoft wireless B router yesterday hoping
    that I could get online wirelessly. I have the router (base station as it's
    referred to) all connected and can get online via cat5. However, I can't
    seem to figure out how to go wireless.

    When I click on the wireless network connection, nothing comes in the
    available wireless networks.

    When I go to my network connections window I have 3 items under my LAN or
    High-Speed Internet section:
    Wireless Network Connection (which says is unavailable) - In the properties
    I have the Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box
    selected but nothing shows up below

    Local Area Connection (which is enabled) - When I unplug the cat5, this gets
    disabled and I lose my connection

    It looks like the adapter is using the Local Area Connection...maybe I
    have to switch to the wireless? how?

    1394 Connection (which is enabled)

    If I go to my Microsoft Broadband Network Utility and click on Adapter
    Settings, my wireless section is grayed out.

    Anybody have an idea?

    thanks

    Dan

    Dan Galfano, May 5, 2004

  2. Dan Galfano

    Dan Galfano Guest

    Also, my wireless network signal (Broadcom Wireless Configuration Utility)
    says the radio on my network adapter is disabled...and that I should enable
    it..So I hit enable, but that doesn't work and it says that the radio on my
    802.11 network adapter is still disabled. and to use the hardware radio
    control switch to enable it...?

    Dan Galfano, May 5, 2004

  3. Dan Galfano

    Sharon F Guest

    On Wed, 5 May 2004 09:41:40 -0400, Dan Galfano wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just got my new laptop an eMachine m6809. It comes with an integrated
    > wirless g card. I just got a Microsoft wireless B router yesterday hoping
    > that I could get online wirelessly. I have the router (base station as it's
    > referred to) all connected and can get online via cat5. However, I can't
    > seem to figure out how to go wireless.
    >
    > When I click on the wireless network connection, nothing comes in the
    > available wireless networks.
    >
    > When I go to my network connections window I have 3 items under my LAN or
    > High-Speed Internet section:
    > Wireless Network Connection (which says is unavailable) - In the properties
    > I have the Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box
    > selected but nothing shows up below
    >
    > Local Area Connection (which is enabled) - When I unplug the cat5, this gets
    > disabled and I lose my connection
    >
    > It looks like the adapter is using the Local Area Connection...maybe I
    > have to switch to the wireless? how?
    >
    > 1394 Connection (which is enabled)
    >
    > If I go to my Microsoft Broadband Network Utility and click on Adapter
    > Settings, my wireless section is grayed out.
    >
    > Anybody have an idea?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Dan

    There's a newsgroup on this server that is specifically for the MS
    broadband hardware:

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Sharon F, May 6, 2004
  4. Dan Galfano

    Dan Galfano Guest

    Thanks Sharon! It's always nice to be in the right place to ask a question

    Dan

    Dan Galfano, May 6, 2004